More Charging issues

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

More Charging issues

Post by paullavery »

After having issues with my bike charging about 3-4 mths ago it would appear to be back again, I rode to the Ace Cafe today for their vintage Japanese bike day, approx 60 miles & noticed when I was about 3 - 4 miles away the indicators wouldn't flash, then the voltmeter dropped to between 10-12, managed to get to the Ace but as I pulled up in the car park the bike stalled & I knew it wouldn't start after that, had a few offers of jump starting it but didn't think there was much point if it wasn't charging, so after a 90 min wait i got the bike recovered back home !

Previously I replaced the battery, have had the rotor re-wound, the stator was checked & all good, i replaced the spring behind the discs with a good replacement & fitted new brushes, admittedly i haven't used the bike much over the last couple of months, took it out last weekend & all was good, numerous stops/starts throughout the day & all appeared to be good.

Just looking for advice on where or what I should be looking for next ?

Cheers, Paul.

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: More Charging issues

Post by harvey »

I hope the battery is good and has not gone bad!

do you have any photos of the bikes that were there? The one time I was there I saw a lot of really neat stuff that never came to the US and a lot of custom stuff. And the food was okay also,
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Paul One other check point(s) is all connectors between the alternator/regulator/battery. These can develop corrosion over the years that might appear to be minor. BUT, even a 1/2 ohm increase represents a considerable loss. [5 amps charging thru 1/2 ohm ~ 2.5 volts loss]
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

Only managed to take a couple of pics, there were some good looking bikes there. Have got the bike back in the garage & will go out & check through all connections etc in the next couple of days.

Anyway here are a couple of pics.

The Mrs was cold, but always smiling which makes up for me being a miserable git most of the time, it was 8 degrees when we left home.

Parked up where she stalled !

Fortunately we got there early so I had chance to push the bike out before it got really busy.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Looked to be a nice day! But, 8 deg; getting to be a bit nippy there already; even for the morn. Good luck with the sparktricity gremlins. The worst kind.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

Well I've now got to the point that I've lost all confidence in the charging system on my bike so will be getting one of these kits from a UK CBX owner, not happy about changing the bike from the stock set up but will keep all the take off parts if ever I need to return it back to stock.

Anyways, one last pic from the Ace Cafe VJMC meet.

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

Hi Paul, what is the condition of your coils? I had an issue with one of my CBX's similar to your symptoms. Checked the charging system and all was good but still had the battery going flat. Turned out my coils were toast. When cool they appeared normal but after running got hot and the resistance went too high, causing a drain on the system. May be worth a check before shelling out on the new alternator?
Cheers,
Mike
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

Mello wrote:Hi Paul, what is the condition of your coils? I had an issue with one of my CBX's similar to your symptoms. Checked the charging system and all was good but still had the battery going flat. Turned out my coils were toast. When cool they appeared normal but after running got hot and the resistance went too high, causing a drain on the system. May be worth a check before shelling out on the new alternator?
Cheers,
Mike
Thanks Mike, will check them as well.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”