Altenator chirp

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Altenator chirp

Post by Little mate »

Altenator clutch has started to make that chirping sound plates are in good condition and have only 2to 3000 miles on them. So I'm guessing weak spring, so may need to shim. Does anybody know the spring specs.that way I can make a shim washer.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Altenator chirp

Post by jnnngs »

I had a shim laser cut, used these dimensions: OD, 48.5mm - ID, 29.5mm

Seemed to be good size match to existing standard washers/plates.

Paul.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The chirping sound will occur on most of these alternators once in a while, usually slowing down from speed. But could be a sign of a weak spring or more likely, a bad bearing. If I've typed this once, I've done it a thousand times, THE SPRING FREE LENGTH IS 30mm. Any spring near that is OK, but all can benefit from a shim washer - find one at your local hardware. Doesn't have to be an exact match.

Dave

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Well the chirp was the bearings. The alternator locked up and now I have replaced the bearings and seal and now have a bigger problem bike will not run unless I use quick start 2 and 5 cold replaced igniter with good igniter and replaced coil. Got good readings of igniter started bike with quick start, same thing now igniter is bad again. So looks like voltage surge may be frying the igniters as all three are giving same readings only 1 volt to the pulse gen. Looks like the problem occurred when the alternator seized.i will check alternator and keep you posted.

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Well I'm lost looks like you are supposed to get only 1 volt at the generator so I tried to check the voltage regulator /rectifier and did not match the readings in the manual, the spare one I had didn't give good readings either. So now the search begins for good parts. Thre igniters and a voltage regulator wish me luck.i hate to put new parts on this and that's not the problem.what suggestions do you guys have please advise.

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

I tried grounding the pickups at the pulse generator with a screwdriver no spark.

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Just checked the wires to the alternator brushes and got a reading of 49 ohms so that's not good, but could just be brushes not seating proper . I will pull the alternator and check the stator and hope for a good reading. Then back to check the regulator and rectifier but I think they may be bad any thoughts from the gurus. Or am I on the right path. Electric issues are not my strong point.

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

So I have calculated the output from my alternator giving that I have 12v input and have 50ohms resistance then I only have 2.88amps as my output. And that's not good .i will continue with my research and keep you posted with my results. I will be revisiting the brushes and check the stator tomorrow.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”