extra connectors in headlight?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: extra connectors in headlight?

Post by EMS »

wyly wrote: The original reason i put in new coils was to replace the cracked oems. But then my cylinders are being bored to 1147 and compression raised as well, i was advised better coils like the dynas would required. If that is true would the wiring as it now still be sufficient or should I change to a direct from battery.

I don't know what that statement, that "better coils" would be required for a 1147cc with raised compression comes from. As long as your regular coils would be good, they would be O.K. to spark the bike. There is no "need' to power your Dyna coils directly from the battery. As long as the coils are good and your wiring is O.K., they will work fine in the circuit as is.
The theory is here, that if you supply real 12V instead of 10.4 Volt (or so), you will get a better spark. And that theory is fine. In the real world, I doubt it makes a big difference, if everything else is good.
The ignition coil is an induction unit. There are windings inside that transform 12V into high voltage based on the ratio of coils on the low voltage circuit to the number of coils in the high voltage circuit.
For argument's sake, let's say the ratio is 1000. Then you would get 12,000 volt from 12 volt and 10,400 volt from 10.4 volt. Still a pretty good spark :think:

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: extra connectors in headlight?

Post by asacuta »

wyly wrote:do you have that on your bike?
No, but I probably should have.

A friend uses one on his Rune. My 81 has some extra circuits in the fairing, so I used those to run my radar, laser jammer, and heads-up display. I tapped the air compressor into some other heavy circuit that I don't recall. I didn't find out about this fuse block until all the CBX wiring was done, so unless it starts giving me problems, I'll leave the present configuration alone.
Al

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”