Sparkplug wire length

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Sparkplug wire length

Post by cross »

Does anyone know the total length of spark plug wires needed to replace them?

There was Mike Nixon's post stating Delco Packard 440 Hyphalon stainless steel core wires but he also mentioned parts unlimited copper wire.
I found copper core wire at Napa auto store but they are not Hyphalon coated but rather "electrotemp jacket"
Would these be good enough or should i get the copper ones from parts unlimited?
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0006443965

Thanks
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Sparkplug wire length

Post by NobleHops »

cross wrote:Does anyone know the total length of spark plug wires needed to replace them?

There was Mike Nixon's post stating Delco Packard 440 Hyphalon stainless steel core wires but he also mentioned parts unlimited copper wire.
I found copper core wire at Napa auto store but they are not Hyphalon coated but rather "electrotemp jacket"
Would these be good enough or should i get the copper ones from parts unlimited?
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0006443965

Thanks
Sasha
Stock coils? If so then this will require surgery on the coils.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Yes, stick could. I'm assuming that coil side isn't removable as spark plug side?
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

One of the first things I did upon acquiring my '82 CBX a few years ago was to replace the spark plug wires and caps.
I ordered the Hyphalon wire and NGK caps on Ebay for a cost of around $40.00. I ordered 8' of wire and it was way more than enough. I could have ordered much less, probably around 6', but then I would have made a mistake and have needed more. :-)
NobleHops wrote:Stock coils? If so then this will require surgery on the coils.
There was no surgery on the stock coils as the wire is held in place with a screw cap and plastic bushing. Very simple to do.

I hope this helps.

Patrick
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

If you use the same diameter as stock (7mm) no fussing with the caps or plastic bushing is necessary.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Thanks guys
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

D'oh! Sorry guys, my bad.
Nils Menten

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Nils,

I was looking at pictures of your rebuild and noticed that on one of the pictures you were showing install of the aftermarket alternator but it seems that you've used stock after all. Anything opinions on that aftermarket alternator and why yiu decided against it?
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

cross wrote:Nils,

I was looking at pictures of your rebuild and noticed that on one of the pictures you were showing install of the aftermarket alternator but it seems that you've used stock after all. Anything opinions on that aftermarket alternator and why yiu decided against it?
I'm still using J.R.'s alternator, perhaps you were looking at an old photo?

Very fond of that, it charges about 2 volts higher than stock at idle, and incorporates a modern regulator/rectifier, doing away with the primitive stock unit. Also totally reversible for my heirs, should they wish to revert to stock :D

HOWEVER... I had a (almost certainly self-inflicted) problem in my wiring harness somewhere, resulting in a low reading, and the resistance was causing the alternator to go "full field", putting out 15.6v. That fried an otherwise good AGM battery. Replacing the wiring harness with one of Phil's fixed the issue. It's no reflection on the alternator except in terms of its potential output, which is prodigious.
Nils Menten

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

My alternator doesn't seem to be charging. Rotor tested good, stator static test was good ( I have no way testing it under load), brushes still have about 4-5mm until scribed line so I'm assuming it's the regulator. I'm just waiting for a friend to come over and help meoad test the stator to make sure it's ok. If it ends up being bad, it wil make financial sense to get an new retrofit alternator.
Thanks for the Info
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have not run a stock alternator on any CBX for almost 20 years now. I was one of the first ones to use one of Stefan Jung's conversions, then I made five adapter plates myself, kept one for the second CBX, sold four. Finally bought a newer unit with improved drive coupling for CBX No 3. The regulators are still on the bike, not connected :lol:

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Tue May 08, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Tim's should have given you a brief installation instruction. Basically. your alternator circumnavigates the regulator. Where the regulator plugs into the harness under the sidecover, the alternator outlet plugs in. I do not know what connection Tim's supplies, but if it is a plug, it connects right there. Some of the early conversions just have two wires which you have to connect to corresponding blades in the connector.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

It didn't come with instructions?
Anyway, after you disconnect and remove the altenayot and regulator/rectifier, there will be one connector left, and that's where new alternator plug connects to.
You can't go wrong
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”