Euro spec alternator

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Euro spec alternator

Post by paullavery »

Turns out my bike has the euro spec alternator, I have just had the rotor rewound as it was reading 1 ohm after testing. Have just been told by the guys from Westcountry Windings that the shaft that was fitted to the rotor is actually the wrong one for the bike & that when they checked it it was bent ?

I have a good US spec rotor with shaft attached, unfortunately this is too big for my stator & was wondering are the shafts the same ? I was hoping to swap the shafts over once I've worked out how to remove the nut off the shaft at the front of the rotor ?

Any help would be appreciated, cheers, Paul.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Euro spec alternator

Post by EMS »

Paul: The shafts are all the same. But that brings me to the question, why did the shop say the shaft on your rotor was wrong? :think:
Clamp the other end of the shaft carefully in a vise with soft jaws and remove the lock nut.

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

EMS wrote:Paul: The shafts are all the same. But that brings me to the question, why did the shop say the shaft on your rotor was wrong? :think:
Clamp the other end of the shaft carefully in a vise with soft jaws and remove the lock nut.
Thanks, i thought they looked the same but until i get them 2 side by side, who knows. Have to admit the lock nut on my old shaft looks a bit strange !

I did think it a bit odd that there was a euro spec rotor on my US bike but who really knows what PO do to these bikes.

More worrying is that its been running with a bent shaft :shock:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Paul: I looked at the pictures again that you posted of your bike when you got it from Chicago. That does not look like a Euro spec alternator to me. The Euro alternator looks dramatically different.
Here is a picture of one. Does yours look like this?

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

EMS wrote:Paul: I looked at the pictures again that you posted of your bike when you got it from Chicago. That does not look like a Euro spec alternator to me. The Euro alternator looks dramatically different.
Here is a picture of one. Does yours look like this?

It does to me, will post a pic up for you to see.

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

Here you go

actually the direction of the raised bit on the cover is different to yours ?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The orientation of the raised area is not that important, but the beveled area on the Euro spec alternator is much larger. From the picture, I would still say, yours is not.

I can take a better side by side picture later today. Here is the best I could find right now

6507 6508

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

EMS wrote:The orientation of the raised area is not that important, but the beveled area on the Euro spec alternator is much larger. From the picture, I would still say, yours is not.

I can take a better side by side picture later today. Here is the best I could find right now

6507 6508
That one on the left does look like mine, I will get a close up pic later, here is a pic of the supposed (wrong & bent shaft) haven't managed to get the good one of yet to compare.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Paul, sorry for not stating that as I thought it was obvious, but the one on the left is the U.S. spec alternator, which I think you have.
Now, it could be, that you have a U.S. housing and a Euro spec rotor and stator inside. I have never checked, if that would be at all possible.
I have not run or worked on a stock alternator in 15 years.

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

Well I've definitely got a US type housing with Euro internals so presumably it must work ok as up until the rotor failed all was good. If however it is not going to work out then I will be looking for an alternative than the stock set up, obviously in an ideal world I would like to keep the stock look but for practicality would look at other options.

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

Here are the 2 shafts side x side, can't really see there are any differences ?

Anyways I've fitted a new spring i got from Bert at the 6center, new seals, gaskets & brushes & its all back together & just waiting on the battery charge & hopefully all will be good, took the opportunity of the downtime to have the front forks stripped & new internals fitted etc & had the tubes polished & the lowers stripped & powder coated, so hopefully will get some riding time on this bike.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”