Battery not charging

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Battery not charging

Post by cross »

Well, i was too quick to claim the viktory it seems!
I went for a ride last weekend and after about 60 miles, when we made a break, bike wouldn't start. I had to push start it. Voltmeter gauge showed normal charging. After another 20 miles when we stopped at event and after about two hours, bike wouldn't start again. So I pulled the headlight and taillight fuses and ride it home. Voltmeter was at around 14 volts and bike idled a bit high on stops, at 2000rpms.
I connected battery to a charger when i got home and after about 5 minutes, battery charger showed that battery is full and bike started.
I charged the battery over night and today took it to the shop and had it load tested and battery is at %100.
One more thing, battery was connected to the bike after fully charging it for about a week and a week later, bike wouldn't start. Voltage was 12.79 and when switch pushed to start it was a bit over 10v.
I guess that the next things to check would be ignition switch and start button
Any ideas?

Thank you
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

With the bike running at 2500 rpm, what does a volt meter read at the battery?
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

It vas reading over 13v when I assembled everything. I'll have to check again this weekend.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Check to see if there is a draw on the battery with the key off. But I really suspect you have a bad battery - despite what the shop says. Is it an AGM? Your bike is clearly charging, but when you load the battery with the starter, the voltage collapses. Classic bad cell in the battery.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Gotta agree with Dave. Put a volt meter across the battery while you are cranking. I had a similar situation. Everything seemed good. Put a volt meter across the battery: over 12.5 no load, virtually zero as soon as you push the starter button. Battery time.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Yes it's an agm battery, yuasa ytx24 and its only 6 months old.
Checking voltage under cranking, it drops to 10.xx for few seconds but after goes to 11.xx.
I'm headed out of town for work so I'll have to recheck when I get back.
I'll also keep the battery off the charger to see if it holds charge until Friday.
Thank you guys
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Update,

Before my trip on Tuesday i disconnected battery from the charger ( off the bike) and voltage was 12.9.
When I got back friday, battery was 12.8. Once connected to the bike, bike struggled to turn over but after holding starter button for few more seconds, it turned over and started.
Once warmed up, I connected voltmeter to the battery and got the following reading
Idle 13.1
2500rpm = 13.5-14
5000rpm = 14.9

Took it for a spin around the neighborhood and voltmeter showed 13-14
Checked draw by disconnecting the battery negative terminal and connecting test light between cable and battery post while key is in off position and test light remained off so I guess there is no draw.
The only thing that I noticed is that my high beam light indicator started working and It hasn't worked for a long time, I'll chck the connections tomorrow.
Another thing that I've done different last few tankfulls is that I started using 87 gas vs 91. I didn't notice any difference in bike behavjour other than occasional ping from the engine. I'm definitely going back to 91.
Could it be ignition timing?
I'm lead a ride to an event yesterday and I had no problems with it. It started after every stop we did.
This is really strange
The regulator that i got has thermal protection so maybe it kicked in but if it did, voltmeter wouldn't be showing that it was charging
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I hate to contribute to a diagnosis, because I am usually on bad terms with electrics/electronics on my bikes also. Have tried for five days now, to get a reliable connection to an auxiliary power outlet on my Prolink.
But as you seem to have an intermittent problem, I would assume you have a loose or bad connection somewhere in your charging system. The on-off high beam points into the same direction..... :think:

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

When I compared connectors on the new regulator vs old one, I did notice that connection isn't as tight. The connectors themselves appear to be thinner so I squeezed the female connectors a bit with the pliers and they seem to be connected tighther.
I'll check the high bean handlebar switches and indicator connections for any issues.
Thank you
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

So I rode my girl last and this weekend and there is no problem with charging at all.
Not sure what had happened but it's good now.
I also received alternator conversion kit from JR and as soon I find decently priced alternator, I'll convert it.
Thank you all for your help!
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”