FUEL PUMPS??

sweattysock
New Member & Happy To Be Here

FUEL PUMPS??

Post by sweattysock »

Fuel pumps? , I believe Moto-Martins may experience fuel starvation problems due to low Metre Head of tank to carb (insufficient gravity flow) . SO Has anyone here any experience of retro fitting one to a cbx / special?, is it even worthwhile?, any benefit? . If so - any neat little modern pumps /components anyone can reccomend? Alternatively I can just put a dust sheet back over it for another decade! :oops:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: FUEL PUMPS??

Post by EMS »

Not on the CBX, but on my Kawasaki KZ1300.
These bikes are notorious for bad start, especially after parked a while when warm/hot. The engine heats up behind the cylinders. So much, that contemporary jokes had the owners cooking canned beans on the block. :lol:
As a result, gasoline in the carbs evaporates at no time and the bike has a hard time starting. Carbs need to be primed and that's accomplished with an electrical fuel pump.
Easiest fix is a pump from a GPZ, which can be had for $20.- at almost any bike junk yard.
The pump is wired with two wires, one ground and one hot into the ignition circuit. It starts running as soon as you switch on the ignition and shuts off by the back pressure from the closed float valves.
That exactly is the concern with the CBX! The float valves have to work and be in great shape.

sweattysock

Post by sweattysock »

Wow! Many Thanks for the ultra rapid response!, Very interesting about the z1300 as a friend has one, also like the 2 wires, nice and simple!- is there any requirement for a fused relay ala ignition bypass modification?, take it off the same switched source? black/white tracer in brown plug simultaneously (piggyback) Man!, I love this site! (and cbxworld and ukcbxclub!) Still have my ICOA mags from early 90's and once visited Daytona to witness Eddie Lawson on a vance and hines yamaha and went to a cbx club meet at Stavros? pizza Daytona and drooled over some great cbx's and others at the Armoury auction site!, (there was a dealer next door who could crate and export!) 8) , wsh I'd been brave enough to bid! :violin: Happy Days! :D

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I did a simple install directly into a wire that is switched with the ignition. No relay or fuse. But I guess you could do that.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

NOS makes a nice Electric fuel pump for motorcycles , good for up to 200 HP, I run 2 on my GL 1500 6 cylinder, Sudco has the replacement Float needle Valve from Gravity to Fuel pressure up to 4 lbs with Mikuni Carb..13 years and 30 thousand miles dependable little thing ! ImageImage

sweattysock

Post by sweattysock »

Many Thanks for the input Gregg!, and wow! :-) That's a shiny ol' motor!

:text-thankyouyellow:

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”