Dyna ignition installation

donny dotson
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Dyna ignition installation

Post by donny dotson »

I've got to the point to install the wiring harness, do I just unplug the spark unit, toss it and leave the connector open in front of God and everybody ? Is this a stupid Question ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Dyna ignition installation

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Install info courtesy of Tims.
http://www.timscbx.com/tech%20docs.html

donny dotson
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by donny dotson »

Thanks, I got that part but you did not answer my question.

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Wiskey Tango Foxtrot »

I just installed Dyna coils as well , kinda vague on the install directions on Tims ? I phoned them on the same question you have and they told me.....and this info was listed no where in the install instructions ? Make a jumper wire from 1 of the sparker plug in's (black wire) to the red wire that goes on the top of the coil .....wish I took pictures before I tore it all apart again. Only 1 coil has a red wire....I believe.....so connect it to that one....or phone and ask for his mechanic .
I took the "Short Bus" to school because they told me it was faster.....what did they tell you ?

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Donny, Does Step #2 in TIMS instructions help? Or, are you meaning some other cable/connector?

2. Remove the three screws holding the Pulser Base Connector and remove the complete Pulser/Plate/Cable Assembly from the engine. The Spark Units can be removed as well since
they are no longer needed.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

donny dotson
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by donny dotson »

Larry Zimmer wrote:Donny, Does Step #2 in TIMS instructions help? Or, are you meaning some other cable/connector?

2. Remove the three screws holding the Pulser Base Connector and remove the complete Pulser/Plate/Cable Assembly from the engine. The Spark Units can be removed as well since
they are no longer needed.
IMG_1969.jpg
IMG_1970.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

As whiskey mentioned, Donny, I'd check with TIMS if you have any uncertainty. I've not worked with an early model. Consequently, I'd try for an answer directly from someone who has.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Donny,

From memory now, this is what's happening as I recall. There was a flat pigtail from the ignitors up to the coils, it carried the signal wires to each of the coils to fire, plus the power to the coils. You no longer need that pigtail, or you need to adapt to it, but you need to get power up there. That signal that formerly came from the ignitors has been replaced with the wires directly from the Dyna. All that remains is to get switched ignition power up to the coils with a single wire, and daisy-chain it to each of the coils. I did this with a spade connector that was pushed onto the male terminal for the black/white wire in the (edit) WHITE connector at the FOURTH POSITION DOWN FROM THE top of the panel under the right side cover. That's your switched ignition leg from the wiring harness. That will light up the Dyna and coils.

You can (should) remove those spark units altogether, before they drip black goo onto your beautifully restored bike, and save them for your heirs to include when they sell your bike :-).

Even better would be to power those coils with a relay direct from the battery, using the post on the starter solenoid and a fused lead. Tony Herd aka Herdygerdy makes a slick plug and play kit to do this, but I see you are using a new wiring harness, so you won't get the benefit that someone with an old harness might by doing this. In my case I had something like 9V making it to the coils before I replaced the harness, so it was totally worthwhile. You might not notice a difference with your tasty new harness.

Hope that helps,

N.

Edit: Yes, re that mamajama, one of those connectors went to the WHITE connector under the right side cover (power and 'switch'), one went to the advancer (signal), and the third relayed that all up to the coils. You remove that altogether. The Dyna bypassed two of those connectors, and the mate to the third is where you're going to get your switched power to send up to the coils ((edit)WHITE connector, FOURTH POSITION DOWN, right side cover). Does that make sense?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

donny dotson
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by donny dotson »

Thanks Mr. NobleHopps, Is that how you powered your coils ? Got a pic ?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Not a great photo, but yes. That's a Bosch style relay, fed from the solenoid, triggered by the black/white wire, feeding the full delicious battery voltage directly to the coils.

Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”