coils

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

coils

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Mon May 07, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: coils

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Any engine would benefit from better plug wires and a higher output coil.
This kit from CBXPerformance worked well for me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accel-Super-Coi ... 31&vxp=mtr

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I second Steve's comments. I have Accel coils on several bikes. They are great. 8)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

If you're giving your coils some love then I'd hunt up some recent threads by herdygerdy on the subject of powering your coils directly from the battery via a relay triggered by the black/white wire.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Mon May 07, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

The 79 thru 83 CB750/900/1100F all used the same coil as on the CBX. This coil was used on many Honda's of that era. The hot set up with the F bike crowd is to upgrade the coils to the "F2" coils, used on the CBR600's. The "F2" coils have the marking MP08 on them, and are used on a ton of Honda's from 1987 thru 2007 (part number 30510-KT7-023)

I personally have them on my 81 CB900F and they really woke the bike up. Instead of breaking up at higher RPM, the redline is now RIGHT THERE! I have acquired a set for my 82 CBX, but haven't had the time yet.

The MP08 coils are a bit shorter than the originals, but that is easily cured with a small bracket. (length of aluminum with 2 holes drilled in it.)

Ebay and Partzilla.com (for research purposes) are your friends.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The Accel kit is not a difficult install.
No doubt it will come with instructions and if i remember a wire cutter and crimper will be needed.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

While you "have the bonnet" up looking at your ignition system, the fitting of one of my "plug 'n play" ignition coil relay kits would be a worthwhile addition and will help with easier starting plus will ease the electrical load on ignition and engine kill switches and wiring loom, thereby prolonging their life.

This kit will fit with both OEM and aftermarket ignition coils.

Can do just the "plug 'n play" ignition coil relay kit only (US$50 plus p & p) , or the 'Full Monty' kit (US$425 plus p & p) that includes a set of new Procom igniters, mounting plate, interface wiring harness and also has the ignition coil relay kit integrated into it.

Both kits also come with a neat little "plug 'n play" replacement main 30 amp fuse holder as well.

If you want to build your own, just as happy to share how that can be done.

PM me if interested and you will be well rewarded for any improvements you make to your CBX ignition system.

Cheers...Tony.

donny dotson
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by donny dotson »

Steve, are the f2 coils physically the same size, I have the Dyna coils on one of my CBX's and they get in the way of pulling the vale cover off. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dyna coils take HP away.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Mon May 07, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donny dotson
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by donny dotson »

Steve, do the F2 coils fit on the CBX mounting brackets ?

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

donny dotson wrote:Steve, do the F2 coils fit on the CBX mounting brackets ?
Yes and No. They will bolt directly onto the brackets, but then the brackets will be too short to mount in their original holes. So you have to either add the "bracket" (a straight flat piece of aluminum with holes drilled into it) or relocate the mounting points of the original mounting brackets. The CBR (MP08) coils are shorter than the stock coils, and you would have to make up the difference somewhere. See the pics below.

Steve

This picture shows the difference in size between the stock coil (left)(from 79 CB750F) and the MP08 coil (right):

This picture shows how I mounted the shorter MP08 coils on my 900F. Instead of using a "bracket" to make up the space difference, I simply drilled a hole in the mounting ear on the frame. (Hey, it's my frame!!!!!)

The next 2 pictures show the stock 82 coils in their original spots. I don't have any pics to show from the side how the brackets are bolted to the frame, but to me it looks like no big deal to add brackets. And disregard the red circles. Those were to show the rubber pad regarding a different matter.

donny dotson
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by donny dotson »

You can get re-pop coils here in so. cal. for about 32 bucks ea. I'm just trying to keep it looking original as possible. Even though the original coils have big cracks it still runs with no issues.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

donny dotson wrote:You can get re-pop coils here in so. cal. for about 32 bucks ea. I'm just trying to keep it looking original as possible. Even though the original coils have big cracks it still runs with no issues.
Are you referring to the Grand Canyon in the coil on the left? I don't know!! Those coils are off of a project bike I am doing, and are not going to be used by me again. Maybe that is one of the reasons the previous owner parked it a decade or so ago, leaving the bike to rot.

Steve

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”