1982 CBX start button replacement

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

1982 CBX start button replacement

Post by hondaman160mph »

Hi All, has anyone ever changed the start button on the right hand switch? My right control switch is in great condition but the start button requires a lot of pressure to make contact when pushed. I don't need to replace the entire right switch assembly and was wondering if just the start button contact was available somewhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hondaman160mph on Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1982 CBX start button repalcement

Post by EMS »

Hello hondaman...
I am sure, I have a rh switch housing which is broken, that I can send to you to use for parts. In return, I would like to have the serial number of the frame and engine and the build date from the VIN-plate of your '82! :D :D

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1982 CBX start button repalcement

Post by hondaman160mph »

can the contact button be disassembled to clean the contacts? I have looked inside the switch housing and can see the button contact assembly is a separate white housing held in with a small screw.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1982 CBX start button replacement

Post by hondaman160mph »

EMS,why do you want the serial,engine number and build date?

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I have taken them apart, not to difficult. Usually a good cleaning and dielectric grease fixes them fine.

BTW....Mike aka EMS keeps a record of the CBX's by frame and engine number for archival data. Pretty cool he does this and it allows him to answer some questions regarding build dates and so on. Also cool in that it adds some provenance to each bike.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

CopperCollar wrote:

BTW....Mike aka EMS keeps a record of the CBX's by frame and engine number for archival data. Pretty cool he does this

Mike
Thanks for the moral support, Mike!
For anybody who is suspicious about this, here are mine: 8)

1979 CBX frame serial CB1-20 04562 engine CB1E- 20 04705 June 1978
1979 CBX frame serial CB1-20 19927 engine CB1E- 20 19454 December 1978
1980 CBX frame serial SC03-20 11794 engine SC03E- 20 02907 April 1980
1981 CBX frame serial JH2SC060XBC300113 engine SC03-23 00165 January 1981

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Thanks guys, I will clean the contacts.
I have another electrical question. I wanted to install led turn signals in place of the incandescent ones I now have but when I turn them on the led's don't flash and light up but only at about half of the intensity of brightness compared to when they are connected to a battery on the bench. I have an electronic flasher installed and thought it may have be a polarity problem,reversing the wires at the led turn signal doesn't work either.Any ideas what the problem is?

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

If all of your connections are good, it might be the flasher you are using. I have some experience with LEDs, but without seeing everything, it is hard to come up with a reason for your problems. You might try measuring the voltage at one of the signals. It should be at least in the neighborhood of 11 volts. LEDs are polarity sensitive. They won't light up if they are connected backwards. Also, not all electronic flashers will flash LEDs. Since LEDs don't draw as much current as an incandescent lamp, the flasher will not flash.
SCH Rochester, MN

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Thanks,based on your answer I believe it may be the electronic flasher I have,it was supposed to be a direct electronic flasher replacement for Honda but the plug was not correct for a CBX so I rewired it. I do have 13 volts at the turn signal wire so voltage is not the problem. It is weird that they light up but only about 30% brightness,reversing the polarity they do not light at all. Do you know of a specific brand of electronic flasher that would work? I will do some research and see what I can find. Thanks again for your input.

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Thanks,going to order one.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Do a search here, There is a flasher that works but I can't remember the part number and I do think it is posted on this site or it may be over at CBX World.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Ok, I will check it out. If I remember my '82 has a 3 terminal flasher. I don't know what the difference is between a 2 terminal and 3 terminal flasher is. There is a post here that shows a 2 terminal flasher being used. I will have to check the wiring diagram in my service manual.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

You can use either a two or three terminal flasher. If you use a two terminal flasher, just don't connect the green wire. I'd use a two terminal flasher. You can only connect it two ways. One is bound to work.
SCH Rochester, MN

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

ok, thanks spencer. Just curious, what does the green wire do on a 3 terminal flasher?
It will be nice to get led turn signals installed and working.They are so much brighter in the day time compared to incandescents.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”