Alternator bearing removal

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Alternator bearing removal

Post by Mello »

I had this annoying noise at idle but pulling the clutch lever made no, if little difference. I had out it down to the clutch rattle but it seemed a bit excessive. I listened to other bikes and watched YouTube videos but wasn't convinced it was just that. Took the clutch covers off for inspection of the clutch and all looked good in there and within spec. Put it all back.

Took the alternator off and found a very notchy bearing. Can't have been long before this thing would have failed badly. So tomorrow I will be off to the bearing shop for new bearings and seal.
image.jpg
Question is, how do you remove the bearing inside the housing? The bearing still seems good but may as well replace at the same time.
image.jpg
There is some scoring on the clutch faces. Should this be smoothed or is it ok to just stick them back as is?
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Alternator bearing removal

Post by NobleHops »

Remove the...stator? and brush assembly from the cover. Put a towel on the workbench, lay the cover down on the bench. Put your gloves on. Now take a propane torch and heat the area around the bearing for 30 seconds. Pick up the cover with your gloved hand and rap it down on the workbench and towel soundly and squarely. The bearing should pop right out.

The clutch looks OK to me, of greater concern is the length of the spring. Measure the free length of the spring, and you will likely find it a bit short. If you lap the drive plate (on the right in your pic) then you will DEFINITELY need to shim the spring.

Do a fast search (upper right) and you will find some pretty complete alternator rebuild threads. IMO you should do the other bearing and seal while you are in there, clean out the carbon dust and replace the brushes while you're in there too. Aieeeeee!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

Thanks Nils. Bearings and seal replaced, but not the brushes. No stock at the local dealer. They're still good so gave the casings a squirt of paint, made new gasket and all back.

Quieter but the clutch still rattles, lol.

Oh, there are a couple of spacers for the spring. It seems a bit short at 29.6mm? Still charging well though.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The spring when new measures a bit over 30mm. 29 and change is OK, but it should be shimmed with another steel washer (sourced from your local hardware - NLA from Honda). With the spring sag and the clutch plate wear, you need it. Otherwise, I think you got it!

Dave

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”