Blinker Issue

Neiko1967
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Blinker Issue

Post by Neiko1967 »

Well I am getting close to get it on the road and was testing out the blinkers before I called it quits. When I hit the turn switch the left side turns on but doesn't blink. Flipped the switch to the right and same thing. No tank on it yet so bike is not running. I thought maybe the Flasher relay was bad as I heard click when I did the switch coming from that area. Decided to switch the wires on the relay. Hit the switch to the right, Left front flashes as does the rear right. Flipped it to the left, front right and rear left now flashes. It has a brand new wiring harness, battery and the wire colors match up. Wondered if anyone knew where to start or do I need to have the bike running and go with the original relay wiring where they just lid up?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Blinker Issue

Post by NobleHops »

Throw a meter on your battery, note the voltage and report back...
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

The orange and blue connections inside the headlight bucket must be switched. At least that is where I would look first.
SCH Rochester, MN

Neiko1967
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Neiko1967 »

I did a quick check on my way to work and it was 12.64. As for the wiring in the bucket I looked at it and the colors seem right but will have my brother in law check it out tonight as he is a electrician.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

Well, if the colors match, I have one more question. Did you have the turn signals off the bike? If so, you may have interchanged the front two. Either exchange them again, or just replug the wires so that orange plugs to blue, and blue to orange.

The left turn signal should be orange and orange/white. Right should be blue and blue/white.

Maybe your new wiring harness has the colors exchanged, though I doubt it.
SCH Rochester, MN

Neiko1967
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Neiko1967 »

I will check the colors again but yes I had them off as I repainted one and powdercoated the headlight bracket. I doubt it is the harness myself as I would think others would have had the problem also.

Neiko1967
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Neiko1967 »

Well you were right I had the front switched around. Had to fix the horn as I was only get a small burp out of it. Didn't know the big bolt in back was for tuning. Was able to get the new exhaust and the bodywork on it. Will try and get some gas in it tomorrow night. We bench synched the carbs and no overflow so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”