New Solenoid

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

New Solenoid

Post by Sharpie66 »

Gentlemen. I need to purchase a new solenoid for my '82. Should I be considering something other than OEM at this time?
It is hard for me to accept that those $20 solenoids on ebay could even come close to matching the quality of the $80 OEM.
Just curious if there is an 'upgrade' I should be looking into.

Thanks so much for any assistance given and please....Ride Safe and have a Great Day!

Patrick
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: New Solenoid

Post by Z Grand »

I bought one of the E-Bay solenoids last year --- working fine so far. Actually I bought two -- one for a spare.

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

Gentlemen. The guys at Northeast Vintage tested my solenoid and it is fine. 'Dang' I said as that would have been an easy fix. Once again back to the drawing board.

Flash forward.....after having gone through every circuit and taken my alternator off to test, I eventually discovered that it was the NEW battery that I installed last weekend. :doh: Although I am suspicious that this was solely the issue, I am glad to be back riding.

Todays lesson.......Don't underestimate the effect of the obvious when troubleshooting! :oops:

Ride Safe Gentlemen!

PC

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Was your first new battery a standard lead-acid one? If so, that can happen at any time. Most guys are going with one of several brands of AGM batteries, that are not much more than a decent (if there is such a thing) lead-acid one. AGMs also end the possibility of acid spills on the frame and pipes and taking the seat off once a month to add water. AGMs don't need charged as often and you can hit them with a 5 amp charge (actually recommended).

Dave

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

It was an AGM. I believe the dealer I went to unwittingly sold me a suspicious battery. It had been removed from the box previously by the dealer and charged. They had gone so far as writing ''charged'' on the side of the box. This, combined with my issue, leads to the conclusion that something ''janky'' was associated with this battery. No worries, though, as I was told they would honor a return.

Consequently, I now have clean connections throughout my X and my start button works beautifully as well. :D Naturally I became quite obsessed with finding the root cause of my problem and it eventually took me to the inner workings of my start switch. Boy was that grimy inside of there. Sure is bright and shiny now! BTW I did get the last of the grime out of the corners.
image.jpg
I will :handgestures-fingerscrossed: and hope that button (and battery) work every time. I need all systems working as I am planning a ride from Buffalo to Indiana to Colorado to Arizona and then back to Buffalo. Time to see some family and friends I haven't seen in many years.

Ride Safe Gentlemen and Have a Great Day! :dance:

PC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Well done all the way around!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”