Optional gauges

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Optional gauges

Post by cross »

I was wondering if optional gauges for pro link model are the same gauges used on some other bikes of the same era. Does anyone know which bikes?
I see that there are electric plugs under the fairing, are these for those gauges and which gauges are those?
Accesory fuses in the fairing pocket are for which accessories?

Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Optional gauges

Post by EMS »

The tachometer can be replaced by a US CB900F instrument, plug and play. The speedometer has no alternative, I know of,with no implications. Mainly because of the signal for the rear suspension warning light.
I am sure others will chime in who may have used alternative instruments.
Honda also lists different part-numbers for 81 and 82 Prolinks and I do not know what exactly the difference is.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike:

I think he is talking about the accessory clock, temperature gauge and altimeter to go in the fairing. Those were the 3 gauges available and you picked two. Clock and temperature gauges were the most common. I've had all 3 and they all worked fine. The real ones for the CBX, and optionally for the 750-900F series with the same fairing, were red-faced to match the CBX tach and speedo. They are getting hard to find - you see them on eBay once in a while for pretty steep prices. I'm sure Louis has lots of all three, NOS and used. You can optionally use the white-faced ones used on Gold Wings back in the day and they are much more common.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

So extra plugs that are below the fairing are for these gauges?
Do you by any chance know what fuses in the right packet are for?
I need to get the owners manual for it!

Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, the later '81 models and all '82s came with the fuses and wiring for the gauges. You had to buy the extra wiring harness for the early '81s.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Sorry for this. I sometimes have a hard time understanding English :roll:

As far as the two fairing instruments are concerned, the size diameter of these is pretty standard - I think 52mm - and you could use any similar instrument that would fit your needs and likes.
Of the original Honda instruments offered, I personally only like the clock. I have an ambient temp instrument in mine and it is useless. The altimeter is something I never really saw a need for. I am not touring the alps with the CBX on a regular schedule.
That being said, if I had no instruments in my fairing I would use an oil pressure and oil temperature instrument in mine and wire them accordingly. Racimex, VDO, MotoMeter and some other manufacturers offer instruments in different sizes and face colors and I am sure you will find something that works. Check Summit Racing and get their catalog.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I found temp gauge but how do i wire it? Where is the temp sensor at or if there isn't one, where would i install it?
I see e set of wires behind right optional gauge cover ( i'm assuming its for a clock) and a 4 connector plug under the right fairing pocket, below the fuses.
Wiring diagram in the manual shows only one behind the cover but not the one below the right fairing pocket.
I don't have a problem figuring out the clock wiring just for the temperature.

Any help would be appreciated

:text-thankyouyellow:

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The "ambient" temp gauge has a separate sender unit that is mounted on the left side below the headlight, where the fairing curves backward. I have my doubt that you will have this. Does anybody know, if the sender came with the bike if it didn't have the instrument?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The temperature gauge has a built-in sending unit in a sealed tube that runs down and mounts on the front of the fairing below the headlight. If you have a Hondaline temperature gauge without the sending unit still attached - it's junk.

Sorry - I guess I'm just full of good news for you guys tonight.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I was actually referring to the actual engine temp gauge. The gauge that i got is from vf1000r. It has red letters and needle, only needle is a bit different then CBX.
Is there a way to install engine temp sending unit on this engine?
This is the plug i found but do not know what its for
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

OK - whole different thing. Hondaline only made an air temp gauge. There are oil temp options guys have done - maybe someone can chime in.

Dave

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Here's a link that shows how to install the oil temp sensor for a VDO guage.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6834

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Again, most temperature gauges have specific sending units. Difficult to mix and match as the calibration may be off. You need to find out what the correct sender unit is for the gauge you have. Then you can decide where to put it.
Two common places are: - the oil drain plug or - the oil gallery behind the cylinders.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Thanks for the link, I had something similar in mind but, I just realized that the gauge, is actually water temp gauge.
I have the sending unit too.
It's measuring the temp in any case so I'm thinking that it should work. It has L and H and it probably is calibrated to water temp low and high.
In water cooled engines, at operating temp, is coolant and oil temp same? Probably not plus, air cooled engines run hotter too, right?
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

kp94
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kp94 »

Thought I would post for the archives, this is the harness for the optional gauges, the 2P minis connect under the fuse box area to matching color code connectors. The gauges connect to the other end. There is room for two gauges for light power (Br/W) and ground (Grn) and one location for clock power (red). Probably hard to find harness now but now you see it, probably pretty easy to home brew a solution

Kevin

'79 CBX
'82 CBX
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin

'79CBX
'82CBX

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”