Starter turns off

bhf
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Starter turns off

Post by bhf »

Hi

When i try to start up the Engine, it turns 2 to 3 times, and then the starter goes spinning, without turning the Engine around. It wont start the Engine :x what does Tour starter motors do? Keep on spinning the Engine around? On my little cbx 400 it keeps turning after start If i dont Remote my finger from the buttom. Sorry the bad english im from denmark

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Starter turns off

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

bhf, i wonder if you are having starter clutch problems.
Have a look at this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7365&p=56483&hilit= ... tch#p56483

bhf
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bhf »

Thanks for the link. The Engine have been sitting with oil in for about 8-10 years and not running before i got it. The oil i got out off it were new but dont now what oil it was. I have put mineral oil 10w50 in it. Can the oil be some of the problem? I was told that bike ran before it were taken appart for nealy 10 years ago.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

My experience has been that if synthetic oil is being used where regular oil was used for years, then starter clutch problems can develop. Compounding this is the length of time the bike has sat idle. If you can get it to run somehow and good and warm with regular oil - it might start working enough to use. I'd try running as light of oil as you can to try to free any sticking parts in the starter clutch, but the rollers and springs can get pretty sticky. If that fails, it'll have to come apart to clean and/or repair.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

What about a little kerosene or Marvel Mystery Oil or even ATF in place of a half quart of the motor oil Dave? Would that be safe to try do you think?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

My thoughts, Nils, are that would be OK PROVIDED the engine was loaded very lightly for a short time. Might do the job. As a sidebar to that, the old-timers would do something similar to that to clean out the old flatheads -- let it sit and idle for 1/2 hour with straight kerosene in the crankcase. Then, drain, and refill with normal oil.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Well in that case I guess I'd try it in an otherwise good-running engine before I tore it apart.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Larry Zimmer wrote: As a sidebar to that, the old-timers would do something similar to that to clean out the old flatheads -- let it sit and idle for 1/2 hour with straight kerosene in the crankcase. Then, drain, and refill with normal oil.
Would that work with an engine, that does NOT have ball bearing rod journals?

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Don't honestly know, Mike. While it might, I certainly would not put any load on it. I have never done it. But, I knew several old-timers, including an uncle of mine, who did such a thing. Just thought I'd mention some historic 'trivia'.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”