Head light switch conversion

ray bear
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Head light switch conversion

Post by ray bear »

I am changing my US delivered 79 with high bars to a sports kit and the light switch for the sports bars which has to be changed to suit the shorter cables has the off park and headlight switch fitted to right side where as the US spec the lights come on with the ignition and does not have a switch on the right side. I will also be replacing the head lamp with no park light and fitting a head lamp with a park light so I don't have to use headlights If I don't want to as my other bike is a 79 euro spec with the sports kit fitted from new and I prefer that lighting set up. is the wiring already in the loom on the US spec for a park light or do I have to install wiring and will the lights work correctly with the different right hand switch set up being plugged into the existing loom .

Thanks for all replies, Bill

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Head light switch conversion

Post by EMS »

This all confuses me in a way an old fart is easily being confused by a problem that takes more than one line to describe. the Euro(rest of the world) switch is completely ccompatible with the U.S. bike. The loop is made in the plug of the switch cable. You will gain the ability to switch off the lights, which the U.S. bikes do not have....if this is what you are asking :?

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Hi ray bear,
I can tell you that the RH Euro switch (what you have) is plug and play and all functions will work properly with your USA spec wiring harness.
I even sell USA spec harnesses and can't give you a definitive answer on the parking light wiring. With luck, someone that has already done this will tell us both :-)
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The original Euro switch (not the U.S. Sport Kit switch) has a switch position for a parking light. If you install a lamp in the headlight for a parking light and make the connection to the harness it will work

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Thanks for that Mike :-)
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”