Correct Headlight shell for 1979?

hailwood1965
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Correct Headlight shell for 1979?

Post by hailwood1965 »

Can anyone steer me to a new or decent used chrome headlight shell and inner shell for a 1979 model?

Honda fiche suggests that the shell is 33101-422-671 the retaining ring is part number 33121-405-671.

Purchased a "new" unit used and it's clearly not the same as the one I am trying to replace on my '79.

Any help appreciated.

Hale

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Correct Headlight shell for 1979?

Post by daves79x »

So you are asking if there is an exact chromed headlight shell replacement for the standard plastic one on the CBX? There is no such thing, although I'm sure if you look around enough, you'll find one that would work. If you are thinking that the CBX one was chromed metal - it wasn't. It is it's own unique black plastic shell.

You have to look long and hard to find a decent used one, let alone a mint one. Someone (?????) appears to be buying up all the ones they can find. I've noticed that the couple of CBX breakers on eBay part out everything from some pretty nice CBXs - but you NEVER see a headlight shell. Might someone have an arrangement to buy them all ahead of time? I'm guessing mint ones might have a $400-plus price tag?

Just one of my pet peeves.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Those part numbers you posted are shared with the GL1100 Wing, if I remember correctly the GL had a chrome headlight bucket, is this what you are trying to replace rather than the stock plastic 79 CBX bucket?

Pics would help.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

One of the things that makes the 79/80 CBX headlight shell unique are the large holes to feed the big connectors fro the switch wires into the shell. The connection is made inside. Most later bikes had the smaller connectors thus being bale to do with smaller holes if needed. Some CX models had chrome headlight shells and they may fit if you cut your own holes. The chrome ring for the CBX came from the 77/78 CB750K. If you want to go with a black shell, the CB750/900F DOHC shell is similar

hailwood1965

Post by hailwood1965 »

Hi--thanks. Sorry, I had "shell" in my head when of course I meant the chrome rim and retaining rim of the CBX headlight. The shell I have is good but the rim is bad.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I think the chrome trim ring is still available from Honda, and do see them on eBay too.

Dave

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I am hopeful that someone will make a copy of the headlight shell. Mint ones are out of my league. I have been buying the cracked shells and repairing them. Very labor intensive and sometimes the shell is so fatigued from UV breakdown that it just can't be repaired.

I have toyed with laying up a fiberglass replica but it just hasn't come out right.

Maybe the guys that make the replica side panels and tail piece would give it a go. I asked if they would make the tail piece with a lid and they said no so I haven't asked about a headlight bucket.

I'll need one for the current project so I best get looking myself.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”