Oh, get a grip!

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oh, get a grip!

Post by bikeymikey748 »

So I'm talking with Mike G. (80cbxdude) the other day. Turns out, he's only just embraced electricity. Gerbing heated clothing, that is. How does an old hand like Mike, and how many others like him, suffer in the cold all these years ?
Which brings up another, related, issue....heated grips. Ever been cold and run warm water over your hands ? Remember how it seemed the heat went directly to your heart? Wanna experience that, cheaply, on your next cold ride ? Read on.
I've been using heated grips for years. The kits are inexpensive, and easy to install. There are a number of options. Some kits have the elements cast into the rubber grips (Oxford, for one). I find them too thick to be comfortable. Typically I used elements/switch/ballast resistor kits:

They work well, but I wasn't loving the switch (on the bracket, I fabbed, to the right of the stock switch pod):

I stumbled on this kit recently, and liked the look of it. Integral, variable, switch. Cheap too, I don't know how they manage it (E-bay, $15.00US, shipping included!).

The rubber is on the hard side, but other than that, seems a quality (at any price) item. And though the elements are cast into the grips, there is little difference in their thickness.
I couldn't use the, supplied, throttle tube. It was cut out (broken up with needle-nose pliers, actually) and a plastic plate bonded onto the grip's end to cover the wires:

The switch was opened, and I added some silicone paste to protect the contacts.
Then it was locating a 'hot' wire (with the key on), and a ground. I really like the look of these. Plus, they're a LOT hotter than the old elements, easily adjustable, and integrate well with the rest of the bike.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Oh, get a grip!

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

When does your winter tire by-law kick in. Dec.15?
You should install them on the snow blower.
Good write-up. Mike.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”