Fuse Block Relocation?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Fuse Block Relocation?

Post by Syscrush »

Hey all.

I'm converting my '79 to handlebars, and having some custom-fabbed triples to do it. I'll need to relocate the fuse block, and I'm wondering if there's an accepted practice on that. I know that it's commonly done along with the Randakk handlebar conversion, so I was hoping that there's some good guidance on what's a good place to put it, and/or any pointers on stuff to watch for.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Fuse Block Relocation?

Post by daves79x »

No, that's the beauty of the Randakk conversions - you keep the fuse block right where it is. The adaptor slips over top. However, you do have to remove the adaptor to access the fuses, but in 35 years, I've never blown any fuse in that block.
Any number of ways to re-do the block for what you need. I'd convert them all to minis and tuck into the headlight.

Dave

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

That's a good idea, Dave. I'm currently looking for alternatives to the stock fuse plate as I have weak, crumbling, failing fuse holder contacts on mine.
None of the marine or auto fuse / power distribution blocks that I have seen will fit in the original cbx spot under the cover. Even with micro or mini blade fuses. Maybe individual in-line mini fuse holders wired together. I'll see if I can make that work.

Barry

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks. Randakk suggests relocating it when using the adapter, I didn't realize that it's optional.

I thought about the headlight, as that's how the older CB bikes are, but they're also kind of infamous for it, so I think I'd rather find someplace under the seat.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Syscrush wrote:Thanks. Randakk suggests relocating it when using the adapter, I didn't realize that it's optional.

I thought about the headlight, as that's how the older CB bikes are, but they're also kind of infamous for it, so I think I'd rather find someplace under the seat.
I think that fuse block is on a tether that would make relocating it to the headlamp pretty trivial. J.R. does a neat thing where he unwraps the wiring harness and pulls those back to the sidecover location. Looks slick as a smelt.

Lemme see if I can hunt up a photo here.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Shame on me for not even knowing that Randakk was advising moving the fuse block. I've been selling that kit since 1996, and have never advised relocating the fuses. With the adaptor in place, you can get to the fuses by loosening two pinch bolts, then the screws that hold the fuse cover, period. Two minutes, tops, unless you have a handlebar mounted fairing.

That said, these blocks are getting old. Freshening them up, or replacing them entirely, might be a good idea, if it's a bike that wil be ridden a lot.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

From his page:
The conversion kit will necessarily cover the auxiliary fuse panel near the steering stem. Fuse failure is fairly rare, but obviously the conversion "bridge" would have to be detached for access to those fuses. That would not be a very appealing road-side task. For this reason, many owners will decide to relocate this fuse panel to another location (typically under the right side cover). This is my strong recommendation and what we did on my CBX.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I guess I missed that. And Randakk even had me proof read it before he added that item to his catalog. But the only additional effort to access the fuses would be to loosen two allen head screws, and lift off the clamp, unless you have used very short cables or brake hose. In my mind, not really any additional roadside drama.

I have the original (proto-type) kit on one of my bikes, and have had it off several times. I have either installed, or helped install, at least 10 other kits. So I have some experience with it.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

For any body reading this that is unfamiliar with the handlebar mount here is an old picture when i used it on an '80.
An easy, good looking mod that allowed the use of wide Superbike tube handlebars.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Yeah, you guys all know a lot more about living with this stuff than I do - I was just pointing out where my impressions come from.

Anyhow, I'm going another route to get bars on my bike, and I like the idea of moving the fuse block to the right side cover. If anyone has some specific advice or pointers on doing that, I'd love to hear them.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

NobleHops wrote:I think that fuse block is on a tether that would make relocating it to the headlamp pretty trivial. J.R. does a neat thing where he unwraps the wiring harness and pulls those back to the sidecover location. Looks slick as a smelt.

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Syscrush wrote:
NobleHops wrote:I think that fuse block is on a tether that would make relocating it to the headlamp pretty trivial. J.R. does a neat thing where he unwraps the wiring harness and pulls those back to the sidecover location. Looks slick as a smelt.

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
No luck - give J.R. a PM and he'll send you one I bet. His handle is CBX-tras. Wiring is a particular specialty of his, and he is particular about what he does in the good way. Whatever advice he gives you will be solid.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

NobleHops wrote: No luck - give J.R. a PM and he'll send you one I bet. His handle is CBX-tras. Wiring is a particular specialty of his, and he is particular about what he does in the good way. Whatever advice he gives you will be solid.

N.
Good idea. I'm already rockin' one of his alt setups.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”