Replacing Alternator Connector

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Replacing Alternator Connector

Post by ajs350 »

Yesterday I took the 79 out and when I returned and stopped the bike it would not start again as the battery was flat, click click click. I bump started it and noticed the volt meter was at 11v. As I dug in today this is what I found, a burned out connector. I ordered a new 6 pin Hitachi connector from http://www.electricalconnection.com/ele ... itachi.htm but was wondering if there are any special techniques to replacing these? Do I just cut off the pins, replace with new ones and reinstall? Looks like I'll also have to lable the wires somehow to make sure they go back in the right spots.
Thanks
Ross

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Replacing Alternator Connector

Post by tevan »

I just cut them off as close as possible and put new pins on. I then put dielectric grease on the pins. You might have other issues with your alternator though. I would charge your battery fully and do the plug then test your alternator after that. :twocents-02cents:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Ross:

Take your Dremmel tool with a cut-off wheel and carefully cut the brass connectors out of the plastic. Take your time and you'll likely not have to replace many. Just clean them up and install in the new connectors.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

daves79x wrote:Ross:

Take your Dremmel tool with a cut-off wheel and carefully cut the brass connectors out of the plastic. Take your time and you'll likely not have to replace many. Just clean them up and install in the new connectors.

Dave
Just make sure that none of the pins have any corrosion where the wire crimps into the back of the pin, this is a main source of resistance and thus heat.

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take some pictures over the weekend and report back.

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Received my 6 pin connector today but it is too small, about a 0.5 inch wide. Any idea where I can get a larger replacement connector that will match the alternator?

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I just replaced both of them male and female with new ones. I just bought a matched set.

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Where did you buy them from?

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

ajs350 wrote:Where did you buy them from?
I bought them from "Oregon Motorcycle Parts"

They have the connectors and all kind of plugs. There prices are reasonable also.

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

From the "Spark Units" thread....
barryadam wrote:I finally ordered and received the connectors to make up the wiring harness design Mike provided for the Prolink Spark Units on a 1979 bike.
Got 'em from:
http://www.cycleterminal.com

They are exactly the same as the OEM HONDA ones (Sumitomo 0.250 Locking type), the same as Mike shows in his photo, and the same as on the OKI spark units (MTW 0.110). Some of the other connectors available on the internet did not seem to match the configuration of the OEM units, although they looked similar.

Got an extra set of the 2-pole connectors (with larger wire gage terminals) for the fuse to harness power connection replacement. Original red one looked like toast. Plus some extra 0.110" female terminals as they match the mini relay pins for doing Aris' voltmeter modification.

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Thanks Guys. That's perfect. Placed an order so now I wait!

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Hey AJ

Do you have a crimper?

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Having used the Dremel to cut the connector apart I noticed a lot of hardened dielectric grease around the connectors. I'm wondering whether this was the cause of the overheating? Is there a consensus here as to whether dielectric grease is good or bad for connectors? Should I use it again?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Heating comes from loose connections first. Corrosion follows, then heating, which cooks the grease. You can use grease or not, but all that really matters is that the connections are clean and tight.

Dave

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Well my new connector is now on the bike and it wasn't as hard as I first thought, although I need to get myself a real crimping tool. Life was at times difficult with just pliers.
Here's another view of the burnt out connector.
Some of the pins came out by pressing back the tang but others had to be cut out with a Dremel.
Once all the wires were out I wrapped a piece of masking tape around each one and numbered them from 1 to 5. This is particularly important on the wires from the rectifier as they are all black!
I read an old post from Mike Nixon who suggested soldering each wire to its pin.
Here's the completed female connector.
Here's both the male and female.
Connector replaced, back in the harness and the alternator is now charging again.
Thanks for the tips on how to do this.
Ross

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”