Dyna S Module Current Draw

mults14
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Dyna S Module Current Draw

Post by mults14 »

Hi has anybody measured how many Amps the Dyna S system pulls? I installed the Dyna S ignition with the stock coils and it added an extra 10Amp load to the bike.

I was able to measure the current draw from each of the bikes electrical demands and came up with this:

Ignition Coils - 9.09A
Headlight - 3.60A
Gauges / Gauge Illumination - 0.48A
Horn - 0.10A
Taillights / Running Lights - 3.25A
Rectifier/Regulator Load - 2.57A

Everything looks reasonable except the ignition system, just curious if everyone else has had a similar result with their Dyna system.

Thanks

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Dyna S Module Current Draw

Post by Kool_Biker »

Hi, I can confirm this. I have made this same measurement myself (ignition on, engine stationary), in my vain attempt to help that puny original CBX alternator.
And it makes sense as any one of the 3 DYNA S ignitors can be in its 'on' state, effectively connecting its corresponding coil across +12V.

Do note however that this current (average) will go down substantially with the engine running, as dwell angles factor in ..

Stupidly I did not do this same measurement when I had the original OEM ignition system on the bike. And this is now too far gone. May be someone could oblige?

Regards
Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

mults14
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mults14 »

Thanks Aris, silly question, but if you have the ignition switch on with the engine off, with the kill switch on "RUN" position, does your horn work? It seems my voltage drops about 1.5V by the time it gets to my fuse block bringing it to less than 12V and it's not enough to power the horn. While I don't plan to use my horn in the parking lot, it doesn't work at idle either, only when the rev's are up.

Thanks,

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

What's the resting voltage of your battery?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

mults14
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mults14 »

I just checked it at 13.2V.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Hi and yes, my horn works.
What used to give me trouble at idle and / or stationary, was the turn indicators; their flash frequency going way down, some times altogether stop flashing.
So I replaced the original flash relay with an 'electronic' one, and never looked back!
After I opened my OEM flash relay, I understood why I had the above problems (hint: old electrolytic capacitors seldom age well)
P1050962.jpg
Regards, Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Technical curiosity is fun stuff, Aris. Keep at it!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

mults14
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mults14 »

Well, I chased my lost ~1.5v through the connectors and found the ignition switch was losing 300 millivolts across the connector, another 500 millivolts across the connector to the fuse block and 400 millivolts from the connector to main harness from the starter solenoid (red/white wire). I ended up changing a few connectors and cleaning / soldering a few others. After this little campaign today my horn works at idle! Made my day!

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Well done and not surprised at all!
CBX electrics are showing their age and TLC, any which way each of us understands this, does help.
Have a look at a entry I did a while back referencing those same connections ...
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8137
Regards
Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”