In defence of the original CBX Alternator

RE5Guy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: In defence of the original CBX Alternator

Post by RE5Guy »

Thanks Aris

that makes sense, so just for clarity is this what you did? (so I don't stuff up)....

1/ connected a new wire from one of the spare slots to the +ve terminal on the volt meter (your brown and white wire)
2/ connected the original +ve wire to the other spare slot (this being the one you cut the terminal connector off)
3/ connected both these wires to the relay, one by a brown wire, the other it looks by a yellow one (which I know means nothing, but just trying to clarify what I can see in your photo)
4/ earthed the relay inside the headlight shell
5/ ran the new power wire (brown) from the starter relay and fused it. This is the second brown wire you can see coming into the relay.

thanks

Tony

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

This is correct Tony.

But please do note. The only reason I used the spare terminal slots in the instrument cluster, was so that in the future when ever I choose to remove the cluster I do not have to cut / pull / untangle any other wires. You can definitely bypass this 'luxury', if you so prefer.

Also, absolutely make sure the relay is wired correctly. I hate the usual 'Health & Safety' statements you see in all and every post regarding how dangerous power electrics can be, but they are 100% true (for your bike AND you) ...

Take a look at my schematic for reference. BTW the relay is low power. All it needs to switch is roughly 0.15A, drawn by the voltmeter. I used what I had .. Also I used a 1A fuse as this was the smallest I had around ..

Bottom line:
The more I use the bike lately, the more I like this conversion as it uncouples two, arguably three sources of error, regarding the true state of affairs of our ageing alternators: 1. The alternator itself, 2. A quirky but surprisingly accurate voltmeter, and 3. A really substandard, error inducing wiring loom.

Best, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

RE5Guy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RE5Guy »

Thankyou sir.

Last night I had time to wire up the relay just to see if it all works, and it does nicely.

I now need to do it properly as you have suggested. I like the idea of using the spare slots for exactly the same reason you do.

With that done, I now need to figure out why the bike stopped charging properly last week (not charging properly on a 250km ride was a bit worrying especially when I had to turn the lights on for the last 50Km), but I have pulled lots of resource off the internet, and hopefully I can figure out what it is. I have got a little sidetracked on this mod....

cheers

Tony

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Good stuff Tony

Would be very interesting to let us know what exactly is wrong with your alternator, and after you fix it, what the remedy was.

Cheers, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Outstanding effort, as always, Aris :text-goodpost:
What an asset you are to the forum....great read, thanks.
Mike C.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Kool_Biker wrote:And a strictly personal point of view: I absolutely love and adore the looks of the original CBX alternator. It so wonderfully in line with the rest of this magnificent engine. I for one would hate to have to replace it with the undeniably, much superior Kawasaki alternator + adaptor plate. But, this is me.
It is definitely not only you. I'm glad that someone pointed me to this thread. I'll be having this mod done on my bike soon.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

I modified my volt meter today, using Aris' instructions. Works like a charm. Thanks for the inspiration.
SCH Rochester, MN

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Modification done also here in Finland. Now with Stephan Jung alternator the setup is close to perfect.
Thanks Kool_Biker!

-piit-

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”