Alternator weep

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Alternator weep

Post by ericfreeman »

No worries, thanks for confirming that the oil seal I was concerned with in the pic was backwards.

Eric

mac.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by mac. »

Not sure if I should start a new thread for my query, but felt it fell into this category.(apologies if out of line). :oops:

I'm looking to split the alternator at the clutch interface to do a paint removal job. Having not done this before I removed the 3 bolts holding the "wet" interface and realised that it wasn't only a cover. It came away with a clutch plate and all the other bits and bob's shown in Aris' pic's. I quickly put it back. :whistle:

How do I go about splitting the components out of the cover and what precautions should I take, can I stuff something in the process? :shifty:

Tx's
:text-feedback:
Mac
I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
Save Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

No, you can't mess up too much taking the alternator apart, which you should do first thing anyway, to inspect brushes, clean it up and check bearings and seal. 3 long bolts take it off the engine, which you have to do, after first unplugging the wire, then take the 3 short bolts out to separate. You'll need a new gasket, which are NLA from Honda over here, at least. Check the condition of the clutches and spring (30 mm height), and be sure the fiber and steel shim washers are in place, as well as the spring keeper.

Dave

mac.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by mac. »

Tx's Dave.

I'll check with the local Honda guys for a gasket but would think that if they are NLA in the US then it would be the same here. Do you make up your own gaskets in a case like this? I'll then try and work out exactly what you just said whilst viewing the internals.

Cheers Mac
I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
Save Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Oh, I think David Silver still carries them and the aftermarket makes them as well.

A shop manual will really help you.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have a few NOS Honda alternator seals/gaskets. But shipping them to South Africa will cost more than the parts are worth.

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ericfreeman »

I just rebuilt my alternator which had a weeping oil seal. Fitted new bearings as well and cleaned up all the oil/carbon dust residue on the armature and stator. Purchased a new Cometic gasket along with the square rubber seal ring from Tims CBX. The Cometic gasket is a good one: appears to be a metal core with gasket material on either side. Should be reusable unlike the stock part. I picked up an extra for future use, although I probably won't need it for many years.

Eric

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”