Spencer's awesome LED turnsignal kits - pictorial

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Spencer's awesome LED turnsignal kits - pictorial

Post by NobleHops »

So a few months back when Spencer spooled up to make a few of these, I was otherwise distracted and didn't chime in. It was my good luck that Don let a set of his parts go back to Spencer so he could build me a kit, and it arrived last week while I was tooling around West Virginia. (Thanks again Don)

If you don't want to wade through the rest of this post, the short version is that the kit is unbelievable: fits perfectly, is totally plug and play, totally reversible, the lights are very bright, and it conserves a meaningful amount of wattage over the stock incandescent running lights.

Here we go - this is the kit. Two three-wire boards for the front turn signals, and two two-wire boards for the rear. Bullet connectors are installed, color-coded tubes mark each wire just like the stock wires, the joints are neatly soldered and shrink tubing is used to protect wires and provide strain relief. They are totally professionally assembled.
LED_turnsignals_01.jpg
Close up of one of the assemblies. Look at the size of these LEDs! They are brilliant when lit up.
LED_turnsignals_02.jpg

Remove the headlight, disconnect the stock turn signals. Remove the amber lens on the first one you do, and the trim ring and gasket, set aside.
LED_turnsignals_03.jpg
Remove the U-shaped metal bracket, and the bulb.
LED_turnsignals_05.jpg
Reach behind the reflector near the plastic posts they are impaled upon and give them a tug, they pop right off easily. My 'dental pick' was perfect for this job.
LED_turnsignals_07.jpg
Free the turn signal wires from the headlight shell so they'll pull through the turn signal bolt freely, then grab the rubber bulb base and it easily pops out, taking the wires with it.
LED_turnsignals_11.jpg
Snake the new wires through the turn signal bolt, one at a time. The third one is a bit harder than the first two. 30 seconds of fiddling, done. Twirl the wires a bit to and fro as you insert them and they'll find their way through.
LED_turnsignals_12.jpg
Secure the board reusing the two U-bracket screws, replace the gasket, trim ring, and lens. Done. Repeat this three times.
LED_turnsignals_13.jpg
LED_turnsignals_14.jpg
These are your old parts, totally intact. Pack them up and they fit in a quart ziplock.
LED_turnsignals_17.jpg
LED_turnsignals_18.jpg
Install the new flasher in the place of the stocker, connect its wires, reconnect the color-coded wires in the headlight shell, and test it. Presto!
LED_turnsignals_15.jpg
The last photo doesn't do these justice They are BRIGHT as running lights, and when they flash they have that distinctive sharp on-off cutoff that cars with LED turn signals have. Very noticeable, and they look cool.

Spencer, on a scale of 1-10, this kit is an 11. I had it totally installed in under an hour, it was easy not only because of the excellent instructions and photos, but because of the perfect fit of ALL the components, the color coding of the wires, all of it. Totally foolproof.

I couldn't be happier with this tasty farkle!

N.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Spencer's awesome LED turnsignal kits - pictorial

Post by spencer »

Thanks for the nice review, Nils. I am happy that you like them. :bigthumb:
SCH Rochester, MN

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I'm convinced, how much Spencer, including the rear light ??
ICOA # 656

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

To make a long story short, $120 for the turn signals. I would hold off on the tail light for now. I don't know anything about what is involved shipping them to the UK. That price included shipping in the US. If shipping is more to you, that would raise the price a little. I don't know about customs, duties, or taxes.

Now, for the slightly longer story, I only have one set left. In the beginning, Don Miller and I decided to do this project, and, in order to minimize cost, we split the costs of buying parts in larger quantities, and we split all the parts between us. We each had enough parts to make a set for our CBXs, and another five sets. I sold all of mine soon after posting some pictures here. Later, when Nils asked about a set, I contacted Don, and he sold me enough of his parts to build two more sets, one of which I sold to Nils. So, I have one set left. Don still has parts to build three more sets. If others are interested, and Don wants to sell those parts, I could build three more sets. Or Don could build them himself and sell them.

Beyond that, it would mean starting over. I'd have to see if those LEDs are still available, from China, and have more printed circuit boards manufactured. Those are the only two critical components. I would not even begin unless I knew I could sell at least 10 sets. As I said before, building these is a lot of work. I would only do it because I like to do something for fellow CBX owners, not for profit.

As for the tail light, a little history is in order. A couple of years ago, I decided to try to make an LED conversion for my tail/brake light. I wanted it to be much brighter than stock. I wanted to blow people away when I stepped on the brakes. I designed a PC board, and bought some high power red LEDs. When I built the first one, I realized I had overlooked some things. It worked, but not the way I intended, and it was not any brighter than the original tail light. So, I redesigned the board, and tried again. That one worked OK, and it is brighter than the original, but still not as bright as I had hoped. Part of the problem is that many of the LEDs are placed in positions where their light never makes it through the stock CBX tail light lens. I have that one mounted on my CBX. I sold one of those boards to Don, who built one for his CBX. So, I spent about $600 for parts, and ended up with one CBX tail light and eight extra boards. No one else ever was interested. After we finished the turn signals, Don suggested that maybe we should do another tail light version. We might do that this winter. If so, it would have fewer LEDs, (the original had 60) but they would be the very bright ones used in the turn signals, and they would be better positioned to assure that more light gets through the lens. One caveat for the tail light is that, unlike the turn signals, it is not reversible. In order to convert to LEDs, you have to sacrifice a stock tail light. There is some mechanical work to be done, and a little bit of wiring too. However, the tail light can be used for any year CBX. Due to a stupid mistake, I lost all my design data for the tail light circuit board, so I really would have to start from scratch. However, the only detail I would probably reuse would be the size and shape of the circuit board, so I would be pretty much starting over anyway. That's why I suggested you hold off on the tail light.

So, that's where we stand today. Let me know if you want my last set, and we can figure out how to get them there.
SCH Rochester, MN

Joner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Joner »

Larry.

I had a set off Spencer for my CBX, they are fantastic, and as Nils has shown, a doddle to fit. (even though my loom had been messed with by previous owner).
I was lucky enough to have Mike (EMS) post them from Germany when he was on a work trip there.
Spencer, I would also be interested in a Tail light setup if you ever get it sorted, as the work you do is Top Notch.

Cheers
Chris J.
Grey-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

Thanks, Chris. I think I will start a list of people who say they might be interested in an LED tail light. If there is enough interest, that would be enough to get me going again, although it would probably be another winter project.
SCH Rochester, MN

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

spencer wrote:Thanks, Chris. I think I will start a list of people who say they might be interested in an LED tail light. If there is enough interest, that would be enough to get me going again, although it would probably be another winter project.
Well then please put me on it! :-)

N.
Nils Menten

onewheelskyward
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by onewheelskyward »

You can put me on the interested list for an LED taillight conversion as well.

I'd also like to express my interest in the LED turn signals. How do I get the ball rolling for one of the remaining kits?

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

onewheelskyward wrote:You can put me on the interested list for an LED taillight conversion as well.

I'd also like to express my interest in the LED turn signals. How do I get the ball rolling for one of the remaining kits?
Well, I put "onewheelskyward" on the list of people interested in an LED tail light, since I don't know your real name. As for the turn signals, I don't have any, as I said before, but I could contact Don to see if he plans to build his, or if he would like to sell me his remaining parts. If he wants to sell them, it would be a few weeks before I could have any more ready to sell.
SCH Rochester, MN

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

Andrew, (onewheelskyward) I will be getting parts for two more sets of turn signals. You will be first, and then there will be one set left for whoever asks for them. Then, no more unless there is enough demand to order more boards and hardware. I don't have all the parts yet, so it will be a couple of weeks. I will let you know when they are ready.

Spencer
SCH Rochester, MN

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Stunning piece of kit, I have just received mine... Thanks Spencer.... 8)
ICOA # 656

Ridem32

Post by Ridem32 »

Do you have any more led turn signals kits? And did you make the tail/ brake light kit ? Please let me know
Thanks Michael
Email: ridem32@aol.com

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

No, no more turn signals, and no, I did not do another tail light. I still have a few of the original tail light printed circuit boards, but do not have enough of the parts to populate them. Only a few people were ever interested in the tail lights. I think there are three of them in use, including mine. When we talked about doing a new tail light, only a couple of people indicated interest, so I never pursued it. If I were to start over, I'm not even sure if I could get more of the circuit boards for the turn signals. I'd probably have to start from scratch.

I think Don still has parts for one set of turn signals, but he had said he wanted to keep them for spares. Maybe you could talk him out of them. I have to say, the turn signals turned out very nice. Easy to install, and they really look nice. The tail light, not quite so nice. Harder to install, but it does work well.

As time goes on, and as I get older, it would be harder and harder to do something like this again.
SCH Rochester, MN

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I am honored and grateful to have a set of them on my bike, as I wrote three years ago, the craftsmanship and quality of the entire set was outstanding. Thanks again for doing that for me Spencer.

N.
Nils Menten

sweattysock

Post by sweattysock »

I would sooo like a set of these!, anyone?? :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”