Spencer's awesome LED turnsignal kits - pictorial

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Spencer's awesome LED turnsignal kits - pictorial

Post by EMS »

O.K., Spence - you are famous now! 8) We have a "Jung alternator conversion" and a "Spencer turnsignal conversion". what will be next? :think:

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Finally got them Spencer, installed the front pair no problem, old flasher unit was a bugger to disconnect. I had to remove the tool box order to disconnect the connectors they were tight.

Was the the original unit was mounted on rubber to isolate it from vibration? The new unit won't mount on the rubber holder, is that something I should be concerned about?

Other than that minor concern it's a very professional plug n play design, I love it. Thanks Spencer.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

There were a couple of different flashers Honda used back in the day and they each had different rubber mounts. One or the other of those work for mounting the new flasher, I think.

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

daves79x wrote:There were a couple of different flashers Honda used back in the day and they each had different rubber mounts. One or the other of those work for mounting the new flasher, I think.

Dave
My z has a small rectangular mount considerably smaller than the unit Spencer supplied. If I stretched it it may fit but I would rather not risk tearing it and leave the oem in place as is.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

My CBX had a round flasher and holder. Five years ago, when I first put the new LED turn signals on, I stretched the rubber shock mount to fit the new square flasher. Some time between then and now, the stretched rubber mount failed. It is now useless. The new flasher is so light that I just positioned it behind the master cylinder reservoir, and left it to be supported only by the leads. Ii has not fallen out yet. I suppose you could use a cable-tie or something similar to hold it in place.
SCH Rochester, MN

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Installed my new battery today to test my new turnsignals!

OMG!!! They're awesome! Great job Spencer!

now I need to figure out why my new tail leds have only tail lights but no brake lights, maybe I did something wrong when I rebuilt the brake cylinders.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

Wyly, I'm happy your turn signals are working OK. For your tail light problem, I assume you replaced your incandescent bulbs with LED bulb replacements. If you put an incandescent bulb back in, does it function correctly? If so, then there is a problem with the LED units. It would be unusual for both brake light switches to fail at the same time, but I guess it's possible. Other than that, the only things left would be wiring errors, something not connected, or a bad connector. I hope you can find it. I know electrical problems can be frustrating.
SCH Rochester, MN

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

It's possible both switches were somehow effected by my brake rebuild but doubtful. Even though the z has been parked for 35yrs wiring just doesn't break forno reason.

I've read elsewhere in the forum a different flasher unit is required for led tail/brake lights just like Spencer's signals, but then my new led headlight is a simple plug and play.

I'm putting one or both of the incandescents back in tomorrow and see what happens, I can't say I'm impressed with the led taillight brightness.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

wyly wrote:I've read elsewhere in the forum a different flasher unit is required for led tail/brake lights...
The flasher has nothing to do with the tail/brake light. There is no flasher in the circuit.
SCH Rochester, MN

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

spencer wrote:
wyly wrote:I've read elsewhere in the forum a different flasher unit is required for led tail/brake lights...
The flasher has nothing to do with the tail/brake light. There is no flasher in the circuit.
I picked that info up from another site where a conversion to led required a module of some sort. But yes you're correct, I checked out the brake switches, the rear only needed adjustment and front is deceased. I bypassed the front switch and brake light works.
The new leds however have to be returned, they're amber signal lights and very, very weak even incandescent oems are brighter.

Moflash
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Moflash »

Spencer
Just installed my cool new Led turn signal kit and I must say you do great work.They are bright both the running lights and blinkers!

Wow is all I can say,thank you for taking the time to make these kits for use die hard CBX guys!

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

Moflash, thanks for the post. I always like to hear if people like them or if they might be disappointed.
SCH Rochester, MN

Lash
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Lash »

Finally got some time to go and pick mine up at the post office. They are nice !! Big !! Going to be installed asap. Thanks for the work you have put into this Spencer.
Now PLEASE maybe a taillight ?!

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

Lash, thanks for confirming that you received them.I hope you like them once they are installed.

Spencer
SCH Rochester, MN

Lash
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Lash »

My lights are in and working perfect. Easiest install you could ever imagine. Thanks Spencer!!

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”