Spencer's awesome LED turnsignal kits - pictorial

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Spencer's awesome LED turnsignal kits - pictorial

Post by hondaman160mph »

The relative ratio between running light brightness and brake light brightness is the same,
incandescent 1157 bulb, running light lumen is 38,brake light lumen is 402,
Part# 1157-xHP28-T led bulb,running light lumen 75,brake light lumen 550.
The problem with most 1157 led bulbs is they are actually dimmer than incandescent 1157 bulbs.
These led bulbs solve that problem with the benefit of very low current draw.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Just noticed the 2500 Lumens Phillips Xeon LED H4 headlight replacement is on special for $85.00.

http://www.xenondepot.com/H4-LED-motorc ... ed-mhl.htm

But they want nearly $50 to ship to Oz!, so will need to wait a while, seems a bit of a gouge for what must be a pretty small box....sigh.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

herdygerdy wrote:Just noticed the 2500 Lumens Phillips Xeon LED H4 headlight replacement is on special for $85.00.

http://www.xenondepot.com/H4-LED-motorc ... ed-mhl.htm

But they want nearly $50 to ship to Oz!, so will need to wait a while, seems a bit of a gouge for what must be a pretty small box....sigh.
That's what I purchased, canadian customers get free shipping :D .The package weighs 4 lbs I assume the heat sink must add the weight, a package i sent to the USA weighed about 1lb cost me $20. So maybe $50 isnt so bad.
Last edited by wyly on Sun May 31, 2015 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

NobleHops wrote:
Rick Pope wrote:When considering extra bright taillights, Remember that if they're too bright, the difference between the running light, and the brake light, might not be apparent to anyone following. This is not a good thing when a tailgater doesn't realize you have hit the brakes, or if you're leading a ride and those following can't tell you've just nailed the brakes entering a corner. :o

I've had several occasions where I was following someone with really bright tail lights. I had to hang way back to be safe.
Wow, that is a very good point.

My first Infiniti had some of the very first LED taillights in cars, and they were dazzling, as were the bi-xenon headlights, also an early iteration. Friends driving behind me remarked that they were not in fact pleasant, and much worse with the brake light on. Infiniti recalled the car eventually and replaced both. Too bright is not good, for sure.
I don't see the problem, you assume the brakes have been applied or the operator is riding the brakes and you back off.
Unlike the days where automotive bulbs were relatively the same, new technology has produced many different levels of intensity and colours no one should be making assumptions on what's normal anymore.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Our reactions and abilities to access emergency situations are imprinted into most of us that have put in a couple of million of road miles (cars/trucks/bikes). Rick's point is valid and could be a problem.

Dave

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Another advantage is that they illuminate in a matter of a few billionths rather than a few thousandths of a second. When it comes to a driver’s reaction time and a vehicle’s braking, fractions of a second count. Cadillac, which introduced the first all-LED taillights on its 2000 DeVille, estimates that the difference between the on-time of LEDs versus light bulbs translates to 17.6 feet of space when the car is going 60 mph.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

wyly wrote:
NobleHops wrote:
Rick Pope wrote:When considering extra bright taillights, Remember that if they're too bright, the difference between the running light, and the brake light, might not be apparent to anyone following. This is not a good thing when a tailgater doesn't realize you have hit the brakes, or if you're leading a ride and those following can't tell you've just nailed the brakes entering a corner. :o

I've had several occasions where I was following someone with really bright tail lights. I had to hang way back to be safe.
Wow, that is a very good point.

My first Infiniti had some of the very first LED taillights in cars, and they were dazzling, as were the bi-xenon headlights, also an early iteration. Friends driving behind me remarked that they were not in fact pleasant, and much worse with the brake light on. Infiniti recalled the car eventually and replaced both. Too bright is not good, for sure.
I don't see the problem, you assume the brakes have been applied or the operator is riding the brakes and you back off.
Unlike the days where automotive bulbs were relatively the same, new technology has produced many different levels of intensity and colours no one should be making assumptions on what's normal anymore.
The problem was that is was dazzling - when they were forced to ride behind me at stop lights or in slow traffic, it was uncomfortable, they wanted to avert their eyes. Not what you want in your interactions with the car following right behind you, eh wyly?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Here is a motorcycle taillight the doesn't have the problem of being too bright,a 1898 Powell and Hanmer acetylene lamp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Visibility is our first and best protection, I prefer the driver behind me be uncomfortable/dazzled than me being crushed and dead.Technology changes, headlights are also much brighter than decades past but we learn to adapt in new driving conditions.

Being noticed was also a factor in my choosing pipemaster 6x6 exhaust vs the oem re-issue 6x2, I want to seen and heard.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

wyly wrote:

Being noticed was also a factor in my choosing pipemaster 6x6 exhaust .
That's what I like about my Ducati......."Loud Clutches Save Lifes" ! :teasing-poke:

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote:
wyly wrote:

Being noticed was also a factor in my choosing pipemaster 6x6 exhaust .
That's what I like about my Ducati......."Loud Clutches Save Lifes" ! :teasing-poke:
I'd love to experience a loud ducati clutch, owning one is on my bucket list.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Arrived home last night to find my indicator kit from Spencer had arrived.

Am extremely pleased with the whole kit, from the packaging, quality of components, excellent instructions and great looking LEDs - I didn't know LEDs came so BIG!

Can't wait to get these fitted on the weekend (hopefully) and I am sure the experience will mirror Nils comments in the first post of this thread.

This is a terrrific upgrade for our lovely old gals and well worth the money spent.

Lovely job Spencer, thank you. More to follow.

Cheers..Tony

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

Thank you Tony, for confirming delivery. I hope you are happy with them. I look forward to reading your impressions after installing them.
SCH Rochester, MN

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Michael Vidovic »

Just got mine in the mail will install in my holidays. Will let you know how it goes.
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

Thank you, Michael!
SCH Rochester, MN

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”