Stick Coil Conversion

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Stick Coil Conversion

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Has anybody converted their 3 stock coils to stick coils and able to provide a 'how too' regarding the wiring?

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Stick Coil Conversion

Post by CBX-tras »

COP would require separate pickups and probably a completely different ignition system, CPS, ECU and so forth.
I considered it on my last built along with sequential EFI but the complexity of it was getting out of hand for a one-off.

But don't let me stop you.

Switching to Ignitech is probably the next best thing.
I'm using the coils off of the ST1300 (MP 10) on my latest build with that.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I have an Ignitech TCIP4 digital ignition already installed CBXtras and it prefers low resistance coils as I discovered by frying the last one by combining it with the green Dyna coils.

I fitted new stock coils today and it started stongly on the first press despite a chilly wintry day and then idled evenly at 1,000 rpm which is excellent for a full race motor. B4 it would be inclined to stall at anything much under 1500 rpm. Stick coils should be even better, open up a lot more room around the valve cover and reduce weight by over a kilo. If it's not raining tomorrow I will take it over to the track for testing.

If nobody has done a stick coil conversion on a CBX I might have to work it out myself because it is an obvious and inexpensive improvement in so many ways, particularly for a race bike. But let's see if anybody else has navigated this route first.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Check with the Ignitech folks but, I think if you wire them in series (1-6, 2-5, 3-4) it should work.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

That was my thinking too but there are 3 wires running off the output end of coil 3 that I need to sit down and resolve. The Ignitech manual is not all that helpful and their tech guy is not a good communicator, not in English at any rate.

If I could gear down the pulse generator it should be possible to eliminate the wasted spark and further reduce the drain on the battery in a total loss system. Run it off a camshaft perhaps?

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

I think there is someone in Australia or maybe NZ that sells the Ignitech systems and has a setup for CBX But I cannot remember the name, perhaps Roli knows. Maybe he can assist with your requirements.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

jt wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:56 pm
I think there is someone in Australia or maybe NZ that sells the Ignitech systems and has a setup for CBX But I cannot remember the name, perhaps Roli knows. Maybe he can assist with your requirements.

You're probably thinking of Roland Skate.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

CBX-tras wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:12 am
jt wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:56 pm

You're probably thinking of Roland Skate.
Ok I had to get the ole noggin to work!

Here is the link https://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/

This where Rol get his system from.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Thanks JT, that would be Liam Venter who has produced a very helpful manual on the Ignitech and yes, we are talking. He has a twin spark high compression Ducati that is fairly challenging compared to the CBX because he is firing 2 plugs on the compression stroke from each coil. However, he says he does not like stick coils because they can get very hot and my racer is already running at the limits of most oils. Like Roly I have insulated my coils from the motor to increase reliability so heat is a major consideration altho' I think you can get stick coils designed for high heat situations.

Liam recommends low resistance dual output FBG coils from Germany. They are a hell of a lot more expensive than the stock Honda coils but he thinks, worth a few more HP with better dwell tuning. They are also smaller so easier to package but at around AUD$700 for 3, not cheap. My track test of my new coils with new LiFePo battery was successful so the stick coil mod is under consideration but not as urgent and more research is required.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”