Sport Bar Switchgear.

Wheelysteve
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Sport Bar Switchgear.

Post by Wheelysteve »

I'm looking to fit the Euro (sport kit) lower bars to a high bar US bike.

Can someone tell (or ideally show) the difference between the US and Euro switchgear and is it necessary to change both switchgear blocks?

Any other advice for making this change ?

Thanks, Steve

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Sport Bar Switchgear.

Post by EMS »

On the U.S/Canada high bar right side switch, the throttle cables exit on the bottom and they will hit the tank. The "Sport Kit" or "Euro" switches have a top front exit and will not interfere with the tank. Also, if you install a real "Euro" switch and not a US/Canada "Sport Kit" switch you will have a headlight on/off switch which will be functional on a US/Canada spec bike too.
The only difference on the left side are shorter cables and you can keep the original if you find some space to stuff the wires. Again, the "real Euro" switch has a "flash-to-pass" feature which the US/Canada switch does not have.
There are no official "Sport Kit' switches for the Prolinks with the smaller red connectors, only "Euro" spec switches. If you have a 81/82 Prolink and cannot find Euro switches, you have to use 79/80 Sport Kit switches and change the connectors

Wheelysteve

Post by Wheelysteve »

Thanks EMS. My bike is a 79 Z model. Do the lower bars work ok with the original US spec footrests and gear change ?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Sure they do. It very much depends on your personal preference and riding style. It could be a little cramped, because your upper body will come down and your knees stay a little more forward. I am 5,8" and I had low bars and standard peg holders on my 81 Prolink for some time, just because changing the peg holders was a little more involved and I did not get around to do it for a while. It was O.K. If you are closer to 6 feet tall, it may be more difficult for longer rides.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”