Instrument turn signal light stays on

DaveMadsen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Instrument turn signal light stays on

Post by DaveMadsen »

All lights - except the RH turn signal instrument panel light - appear to work properly. The RH instrument light stays on steadily until the RH turn signal is activated, at which time the instrument light blinks (as it should). The built remains lit upon the turn signal being canceled. I have tested (continuity) the wire providing power back to the handlebar-mounted switch and all seems fine. Any ideas on where I might be picking up voltage on this circuit?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Instrument turn signal light stays on

Post by daves79x »

Take apart your turn signal switch, clean everything and be sure one of the contacts hasn't slipped. Your problem is there, I think. Lots of little parts in there, be careful. Just did one yesterday.

Dave

DaveMadsen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by DaveMadsen »

Dave,
I have the switch apart and am wondering if the front turn signal lights are to always be on (parking lights?). In my case, ARE on - and blink brightly when turn signals are activated. A related question: when are parking lights supposed to be lit? I see there is a "P" position on the ignition. These questions are so I have. Better understanding of the switch and it's intended function.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The front turn signals double as running lights and are always on, on US-spec bikes. They are not parking lights. They should go on and off when turn signal is activated. The "parking light" feature lights a small bulb in the headlight and the taillamp, not the t/s lights.

DaveMadsen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by DaveMadsen »

Also....when the LH turn signal is on, the indicator light and blinker flash in sync; when RH turn signal is on, the indicator light flashes opposite of the turn signal.

DaveMadsen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by DaveMadsen »

I have the switch apart - and the two long contacts removed (basically taking the switch out of play). The RH indicator light remains on. I cleaned the bulb socket thinking I might have a short (but no short). I took this step because with the bulb removed (open circuit) the indicator light goes dark; rep,ace the bulb and indicator light comes on.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Bear with me, as I'm miles from my shop manual.........

If memory serves, the switches supply ground to the lights, rather than positive current. If I'm correct, that may be way things aren't behaveing as you expect.

OTOH, I could be wrong.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

DaveMadsen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by DaveMadsen »

Solved. The problem originated in the instrument cluster where the voltmeter had a ground wire (green) to each pole. I moved the errant green wire to its green brother on the other pole and voila! problem resolved. If there is any good news in this fiasco, I did end up with a very clean LH switch.

Thanks so much for sticking with me as I made this journey.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

About 483 different guys involuntarily nodded their heads knowingly. It’s a journey sometimes :-).

Great job Dave!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

NobleHops wrote:...It’s a journey sometimes :-).

Great job Dave!
And with the help of the many fine folks around here, usually a journey to...enlightenment!

+1 on the great job Dave

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”