LED Headlamp Bulbs

banjobill08
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

LED Headlamp Bulbs

Post by banjobill08 »

Hi All,
Thinking about replacing std 55W headlamp bulb for a low power LED setup, has anyone found a good replacement?

regards.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Might consider a PIAA bulb. Approx twice the light for same power. A bit expensive. However.........
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

banjobill08
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by banjobill08 »

Hi Larry,
Thanks for the reply, Yes, just been on the PIAA website, indeed a little expensive, I was hoping for a Low Wattage update to ease the poor alternator workload....and what the Cbx owners have gone for?

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

xenondepot
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

banjobill08
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by banjobill08 »

Hi Wyly,
Thnks for the reply, Some very nice options on this page, again a little closer to home would be better to avoid post and duty costs??

Keep them coming guys........

regards.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

banjobill08 wrote:Hi Wyly,
Thnks for the reply, Some very nice options on this page, again a little closer to home would be better to avoid post and duty costs??

Keep them coming guys........

regards.
a little advice on selection, two types fan cooled and heat sink...fan cooled leds spin at a high speed and work until the fan being mechanical quits and leaves you with over heating and no light...heat sink is passive cooling, there’s nothing to break, I’ve used a heat sink LED for three years with no issues...shipping/customs costs are what they are
I accept them and pay up, annoying but everything cbx is expensive...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

banjobill08
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by banjobill08 »

Thanks again wyly,
That sort of confirms my searches, I've heard that shops do not sell them because of the chances of failure and melting of the headlight cover on plastic faired machines?
One other issue is quite a number of the Led lamps are longer than the STD Halogen type, which make did you use?

regards.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

It's a Phillips
xenondepot.com H4-LED-MHL H4 LED Motorcycle Headlight Kit

It's a snug fit, I needed to shift the wiring inside the bucket in order to spread the heat sink out but it all went in.

banjobill08
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by banjobill08 »

Hi Wyly,
I'll take another look at that.
Thanks again.

regards.

CBXSUDBURY
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by CBXSUDBURY »

I'm all for improvements on the CBX as well. I have had a LED headlight bulb in my 82 for 4 years now and am quite happy with it.
It is a fan cooled and hope for no failures. I do all my riding during daylight and want to be seen. It is effective enough to get attention.

One issue I had with fitting of the longer bulb in the 82 housing. The fan unit will not fit unless you modify the rear of the plastic light housing to allow the fan to extend out.
I am not so concerned about the look of where the fan comes out, done with a small dremmel tool, it looks good. Good enough for me and for what I was looking for.

If anyone wants a picture for the 81/82 rear of the light setup, you are welcomed to send me an email requesting a picture. Sorry, been so long since installation, I do not remember the brand. But did cost me back then $140 Canadian for 1 bulb.
They have gone down in price since.

Yvon
CBXSudbury lam@vianet.ca

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”