Ignition

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Ignition

Post by daves79x »

Hate to be a pest, but do you know exactly what you're looking for? Genuine Keihin #65 primary mains, #98 secondary mains and 05F needles. If the tech drilled the slides, there's nothing you can do about that and it doesn't usually matter anyway. You never answered whether you still had the stock stuff for your carbs.

But I can't emphasize enough that just swapping jets will NOT fix your whole problem. The low-speed circuitry must be addressed and that means pulling the slow jets. Then verify that they flow everywhere they're supposed to before going back on. Same for the accelerator pump circuit.

Also, I hope you kept the stock float valves in the carbs. Aftermarket ones that come in any kits you buy will leak. Genuine Keihin needles are available from PJ Motorsports.

If you don't do/check all the above, you will be disappointed again.

Dave

Magnet21
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re: Ignition

Post by Magnet21 »

Sorry to be unclear Dave but I don't know what will be ordered for it and it is still awaiting it's turn on the lift. Tech is aware that he is dealing with 79 carbs. To my knowledge, the "redo" I had on them last year was done with whatever that shop (now out of business, owner retired) ordered . I am fairly sure he just put in kits with just gaskets and needle and seats and cleaned them. The issue then was suspected fuel contamination. This stumbling and dying issue becoming worse is what drove me to the DynoJet solution. Unfortunately, it was assumed that if it was an 80 model bike it had 80 model carbs. With the help of EMS (much appreciated), it was determined that it has 79 carbs and the kits from DynoJet that were installed for an 80 model last month were, in fact, the wrong parts which are still in it. As I understand it, an 80 SS will not "run right" with stock 79 carbs having 80 model jets in it. To my knowledge, it has the stock floats that came in it from Tim's. I do not know if the tech drilled the slides but will pass all this on to him for his consideration especially the parts about the low speed jets and circuits.
You are not being a pest and I do appreciate your expertise, that kind of knowledge is hard to come by these days.

Jim

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”