Spark Plug Wires

Doug Carlson
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Spark Plug Wires

Post by Doug Carlson »

I'm planning on replacing the spark plug wires and boots on my 82 CBX. I've already bought NGK boots from the dealer but have a question about the wires. Are they 7 mm? The Honda dealer has wire for sale by the foot or I could buy an automotive set and cut off the conectors. Any advise on the core material or any other considerations? Thanks.

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Honda sp plug wires

Post by Mike Nixon »

Yes, they're 7mm. The stock plug wire is stainless steel core. Lasts nearly forever, unless too many trimmings have shortened it too much. :D If you're using the NGK caps, they screw into the wire. Therefore, you want to make sure you don't use suppressive wire like that sold in most auto parts stores. Additionally, the added resistance isn't needed. The good stuff is available as you found by the foot at the better dealers (just make sure it is the good stuff, the steel core), or you can go to any good auto parts store (not Checker or Autozone) and get the wire by the foot with a Delco part number, known as Packard 440 Hypalon. Same stuff the factory uses.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I'm in the market for a set of good assembled wires for my 82. Other than Tims, where might I find some? The Taylor SS braided set I have on the 79 were a PITA to assemble. Accel? Bosch? Online sources?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

talk about a delayed thread...

Post by Mike Nixon »

Wow! A year later! Well, I always used to use Packard 44o Hypalon, which is available from any good auto parts store as Delco 7mm copper core wire. Since then (70s-80s) it has become available from Parts Unlimited and other motorcycle shop vendors, probably made in Taiwan. The caps are also available from the same sources, nearly identical to the OEM caps, although I used to make up my own out of old-fashioned solder-type terminals and covers. :D

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Well, CBXman just replied to my email and I called Donna there as well. It seems that Accel makes a coil and wire set but does NOT sell just the wires. What the hell? I have an extra set of school bike coils and my originals are ok too so I just need a set of pre cut, assembled spark plug wires. Surely, someone markets these? Does everyone have to measure and cut and assemble their spark plug wires unless they buy the Taylors from Tims?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

If you don't care about the OEM look you can use Taylor wires with the plug end already molded onto the wire and they come in a dozen different styles,sizes and heat applications.

But like Mike said the high resistence wires aren't needed and some 8mm wires will work in the coils but its tight, 7mm fits better. If you don't like the bright colors the wires come in just wrap them in black heat shrink tube.

Or do like Mike said, buy the copper core wire, buy the NGK caps and make a set.

jb

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

coil wires

Post by Mike Nixon »

The reason plug wires aren't readily available is that they never go bad on an Asian motorcycle. They're stainless steel. The only reason to change them that I can think of is, 1 -- you've trimmed them regularly like you should and now they are too short, or 2 -- the covering has aged and got very stiff (even then, it may not be necessary to change them). :D As for the difficulty, it isn't difficult. Simply ask your local shop to sell you a suitable length of 19-strand copper core 7mm Hypalon cover spark plug wire (comes in 100 ft roll, Parts Unlimited # 01-114-1), plus four OEM replacement spark plug caps (Parts Unlimited # SD05F, made by NGK). Just cut each wire to length, screw on each cap, and assemble to each coil. :D

drbone641

Post by drbone641 »

Uh what about the other two cylinders... :idea:

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

most CBX owners belong to a coven http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coven and use the powers they have acquired to spark the additional cylinders through the proper and accurate application of ofhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning to spark the additional two cylinders. The reason they do that is because if there's a total electrical failure of the previously mentioned motorcycle, they can still limp along on two cylinders (like a Harley) until they solve their delimma (boy, where did this idiot lern how to spell(hey that's me I'm talking about(hijack(as if they don't know me by now)))). :D
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

have you ever heard of a man named tesla he was said to be able to transmit electricity long distances without wires 8)
Dan 1995

Triple x owner 79,81,82
Ironbutt member #24745
Coast to coast and border to border on a CBX
My goal was to ride farther and faster than my wife could bitch....
I needed a faster bike....
So I got a BUSA!!!!!

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

uh...

Post by Mike Nixon »

drbone641 wrote:Uh what about the other two cylinders... :idea:
Oops! :oops:

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

Nike Nixon doesn't use witchcraft to harness the power of lightning?
YOU'RE THE ONE

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cbxtacy wrote: they can still limp along on two cylinders (like a Harley) :D
Put your CBX next to my Harley at a traffic light and when it turns green, I will show you how it will limp away from you...... :D :D :D

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

can I pick which one of my CBX's I use?

Is your Harley stock?

because this X is stock :D
YOU'RE THE ONE

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cbxtacy wrote: Is your Harley stock?
So, I would be the only person in the U.S. who owns a stock Harley :? :wink: :roll:

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”