Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

i'll see your turbo and raise you one Busa :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image[/url]
Dan 1995

Triple x owner 79,81,82
Ironbutt member #24745
Coast to coast and border to border on a CBX
My goal was to ride farther and faster than my wife could bitch....
I needed a faster bike....
So I got a BUSA!!!!!

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

so, wire wheels and not stock:

can I use one with wire wheels and not stock (the engine's stock internally)?

one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cbxtacy wrote: can I use one with wire wheels and not stock (the engine's stock internally)?
That would be O.K.! I just want us to still be friends afterwards :!: :wink:
I know of that certain West Coast guy who has that deep rooted hatred for anything Harley and their riders ever since one of them beat him in a drag race :lol: :lol: :lol:

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Spark Plug Wires

Post by kbart1 »

i too am looking at possibly replacing my plug wires. my problem is that i can HEAR a sort of popping or cracking sound that sounds a lot like the spark going to ground once in a while at idle. i understand the internals of the wire should last a long time however my wires do seem pretty brittle and not very flexible. i assume it is possible with age for them to short through the jacket to ground?

thanks
kent

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

kbart1 wrote:i too am looking at possibly replacing my plug wires. my problem is that i can HEAR a sort of popping or cracking sound that sounds a lot like the spark going to ground once in a while at idle. i understand the internals of the wire should last a long time however my wires do seem pretty brittle and not very flexible. i assume it is possible with age for them to short through the jacket to ground?

thanks
kent
Either that or a cracked coil.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

kbart1 wrote:i too am looking at possibly replacing my plug wires. my problem is that i can HEAR a sort of popping or cracking sound that sounds a lot like the spark going to ground once in a while at idle. i understand the internals of the wire should last a long time however my wires do seem pretty brittle and not very flexible. i assume it is possible with age for them to short through the jacket to ground?

thanks
kent
Lift the tank and use an extension fuel tube to connect to the carbs and start your bike in total darkness.
Observe the area around the coils and plug wiring carefully. If any of the above is true, you will most likely also 'see' the problem(s).
Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

super jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by super jim »

"trimming plug wires like you are supposed to"...please explain why and how.

super jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by super jim »

I understand the technique of cutting the wire back 1/4" and screwing the cap back on. Why does this need to be done and how often? And only the plug end, correct? Not the coil end.

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

super jim wrote:I understand the technique of cutting the wire back 1/4" and screwing the cap back on. Why does this need to be done and how often? And only the plug end, correct? Not the coil end.
I'm also looking for this answer, but I'm assuming it is the coil end that needs trimming???
Also, could someone explain the connection at the coil to the spark plug wire? Inside the coil is there just a pointed terminal that sticks into the wire core when you tighten the coil cap?

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

You have it figured out. It is just a brass point in the coil and the wire just pushes into it and then you tighten the plastic cap.

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

tevan wrote:You have it figured out. It is just a brass point in the coil and the wire just pushes into it and then you tighten the plastic cap.
So, that would seem to me to have a high failure rate. As suggested earlier in this post, is it a good idea to cut and trim the plug wire at the coil? It would seem that over time and many heat cycles, that connection would/could separate.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”