CDI

CBXJOHNNY
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CDI

Post by CBXJOHNNY »

What is available in CDI for 79 CBX ? Mine are leaking and I might as well update to the latest and greatest. Are there performance gains to be had? Would you suggest anything else to be updated?
Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CDI

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

When you say they are leaking i am guessing you are referring to the spark units on the underside of the battery?
A stock and aftermarket swap are highlighted in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7473

sed213rr@gmail.com
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by sed213rr@gmail.com »

I've had my CBx since Aug. 1978; now with 122,000 miles. Sport kit, mostly original. While doing a cosmetic restoration, I found my spark unit ( under battery ) melted. It ran (?) on three or four cylinders. I bought a used one - then it popped on one cylinder. Then I bought a new unit - no fire at all.

I've cleaned all connections; all the wiring is satisfactory. The machine looks absolutely new, but it won't run !!

Any ideas ?

BTW, I used Evinrude silver engine paint in a rattle can. It's a perfect match with original and is fuel-proof. WoW !!! Does it ever look great. ( Too bad it doesn't run. )

Pete Kohnken SED213

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Congrats on being an original owner and still having the bike! Nice mileage too. When you say you bought a new unit, do you mean a new aftermarket spark unit or an NOS Honda one?

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

sed213rr@gmail.com wrote:
BTW, I used Evinrude silver engine paint in a rattle can. It's a perfect match with original and is fuel-proof. WoW !!! Does it ever look great. ( Too bad it doesn't run. )

Pete Kohnken SED213
+1!! used it for years on Honda engines.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

In response to the evinrude paint. Is that gun metal silver #772727 ? Thanks in advance.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”