1983 Honda CBX 400 Custom

CBSOS
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

1983 Honda CBX 400 Custom

Post by CBSOS »

I have a CBX 400 and have ridden it periodically for the last 16 years, it has always had a noisy cam chain, when I pulled it down to install a new chain, I found the wear on the tensioner shaft and each of the locking clamps allowing them t slip intermittently and resetting them selves. I believe I could replace the whole unit with manually adjusted arrangement with a coil spring tensioner, I wounder If anybody can help with photos or drawings of such a thing, I was told that an arrangement was used in engines used for racing.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1983 Honda CBX 400 Custom

Post by Mouse »

:text-welcomewave: cbsos. to the group.

This group is mainly dedicated to the 1979 to 1981 Honda CBX 1000cc 6 cylinder.
Someone here though may have an answer to your question. If you don't get an answer its not because we ignored you, it's because like you, we also don't know. Hopefully someone here knows about that series of CBX's.
Good Luck.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: 1983 Honda CBX 400 Custom

Post by RJ CB650 »

Welcome!

I am with Mouse there, that is a tricky question. While this is the CBX Forums, it really is mostly the 6cyl owners. I was hoping to find a similar bike that could be cross referenced for other forums, but I have had no luck finding a cross reference. A good thing that might help is if we can find other bikes that shared a similar or the same tensioner if it is possible to get the part number from the honda in your area?

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”