Ignition switch pigtail

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Ignition switch pigtail

Post by whatscooking »

Hi everyone, I have a 82 that I am trying to bring back to life. While checking the wiring harness at the ignition switch I found the connector that holds the six female wires has some problems, burnt and melting. Has anyone figured out a part number for the holder? I have the wire ends but the only connecter I can find doesn't have the proper clip to secure it to the switch.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Ignition switch pigtail

Post by herdygerdy »

Hi Whatscooking?

Clearly the answer to that rhetorical question is your ignition switch connector (sorry, couldn't resist!).

Now down to business...Not sure what connectors the 81s have, but if they are similar to the 79's then I am pretty sure you will find what you need here...

http://www.cycleterminal.com/250-connectors.html#SC250.

The terminals in these connectors are 0.250 (1/4) inch / 6.3 mm wide. Scroll down the page till you find the Sumitomo lock type connectors. These are the ones used on 79/80 CBXs

But if the terminals in your fried connector are much smaller, they will be 0.110" / 2.8 mm wide and you will need to look at the Locking type .110 family of connectors in the link below.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/110-connectors.html

These guys give EXCELLENT service!

And remember when ordering, the sex of the connector 'set' you order is determined by the sex of the terminal that is housed in the connector and NOT the plastic housing in which the spade terminals are inserted.

To illustrate, a male spade terminal will live in a female connector. To replace it as a set (including housing and new terminals) you would order a MALE connector 'set'.

Be sure to order some extra terminals to practice on.

And while you are at it, do yourself a favour and order one of these at the top of the page shown below to make really good crimps.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/crimp-tools.html

The cost of all these parts will still be less than if you put it in 'the shop' to have a pimply faced kid faff about with your pride and joy and you will be set to do "lektrickle" stuff with confidence for the rest of your days

(behind every cloud is a silver lining...)

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Cheers...Tony

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whatscooking »

I didn't know what to call this connector so I called it everything I thought it could be. Today I called Terry and come to find out this connector is a lot more common than I was led to believe when I was at the local bike shop yesterday going through their books. I went to another bike shop today that has it's own boneyard and found a couple of these connectors, they are all over a V65 Magna, and was able to cut one with long enough wires that I can make a nice repair for this on my CBX. I do believe I will add that web site to my favorites, thanks.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

whatscooking wrote:I didn't know what to call this connector so I called it everything I thought it could be. Today I called Terry and come to find out this connector is a lot more common than I was led to believe when I was at the local bike shop yesterday going through their books. I went to another bike shop today that has it's own boneyard and found a couple of these connectors, they are all over a V65 Magna, and was able to cut one with long enough wires that I can make a nice repair for this on my CBX. I do believe I will add that web site to my favorites, thanks.
Here's a vote for NOT making a soldered wire repair. See if you can extract those spades and sockets and slide them into your new connectors, after a careful cleaning.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whatscooking »

The red and black wire, the main two, are crispy with only a few strands still holding so that makes it necessary to move away from the connector to find wire good enough to hook to again making the already short wires shorter. I have the correct size crimp type repair connectors with the shrink tube made on but I thought soldering would be better as crimps don't always work good for me.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

whatscooking wrote:The red and black wire, the main two, are crispy with only a few strands still holding so that makes it necessary to move away from the connector to find wire good enough to hook to again making the already short wires shorter. I have the correct size crimp type repair connectors with the shrink tube made on but I thought soldering would be better as crimps don't always work good for me.
It's all about the crimper, and if you foresee doing this kind of repair I'd bite the bullet and buy something like the one Tony linked to. But if you're good with solder and butt splices, have at it!

N.
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

P.S. Crispy means overheating due to resistance of course. Respectfully suggest you trace the ENTIRE ignition circuit and renew all those connections. That red wire carries all the juice for the ignition. Pay particular attention to the wires from the alternator and regulator rectifier.

N.
Nils Menten

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whatscooking »

The wiring for the alternator and regulator has been hacked up. I have the fairing off not only to help to get the carbs off and look at the valves and some new gaskets but also there has been a Honda radio installed into it that isn't working now that I hope to possibly straighten out the rats nest of wiring and get it working. It also has a temp gauge and volt meter in there also.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I'd be on the phone to Louis by now for a good used wiring harness. Call me a quitter, a coward...
:-)
Nils Menten

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whatscooking »

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”