Tickover adapt mod?

Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Tickover adapt mod?

Post by Spoke »

Hi all, I am thinking of trying to fit a modification to my Pro-link so that I can alter the tickover idle easily by hand, (in traffic etc.)
I was considering removal of the large tickover screw above the carbs, and replacing with a long slim rod with a threaded end to replace it, (Fitting a bracket on the frame under the tank with a hole for it to go through to stabilize the rod) then a small chrome dial/wheel/handle on the other end, protruding under the tank, so it is easy to adjust the idle by rotating it. even while sat on the bike.
Is this easily possible? If I remove the aforementioned screw that alters the tickover idle, is it just literally a screw in a thread, or is it sprung loaded or suchlike? Any information would be greatly recieved, I'm not familiar with the set up.
Regards,
Paul
Last edited by Spoke on Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Tickover adaption mod?

Post by NobleHops »

Heya Paul,

I think this is a dandy idea, and for some reason I think it has been done. Try a search or two and see what you find, but whatever you figure out, please post it up for others to reference!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Tickover adapt mod?

Post by daves79x »

Yes, it's been done on a build thread here. But my thoughts are the same - if your carbs are right, you'll never need it. Spend the time you'd have in fashioning that in getting the carbs right.

Dave

Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spoke »

Yes I do understand what you are saying, my tickover gets faster the hotter the engine gets.Terrible in traffic jams.
I still would like to fit this mod.
May I re-ask, does the tickover screw just unscrew, or will bits fall out?? Lol!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, parts will fall out - you might get it by removing the tank. I mean this in all seriousness - you are killing your CBX riding in stop-and-go traffic. But the idle should not change.

Dave

Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spoke »

Does anyone have a picture of the set up behind the screw, any tiny springs etc, so I will know how to replace it with the aforementioned threaded rod, in case something pops or drops out?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Disconnect the bracket with the screw and cable and you will have everything together. This way, you can see what you have to do to replace it.

Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spoke »

Thank you EMS :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You have to unscrew the adjuster from it's threads in the carb body no matter what else you remove and there are 2 washers and a spring that will be facing straight down free to fall off the threaded shaft of the adjuster. Proceed with caution.

Dave

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”