temp check exhasts

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

temp check exhasts

Post by Little mate »

I read on one post that the temp should be between 230/280 degrees. Does anybody know if that is after a short warm up at idle, Or at part throttle . I am doing a mixture adjustment after a carb strip down. The bike was running rough at 2 1/4 turns out, so I balanced the carbs , vacume was low after I adjusted them , all were at around 3 on the gauges, so I checked the temps. they were all over the place 120/ ? . now have 250 to 280 bike is smooth and idle is just a bit rough. No popping, just want it a little smoother . lots of power and quick response to throttle, so must be close. I need to get about 150miles under my belt before sat as I am going to be doing about 250/300 miles sat. II will be going to St augastine to a show. any help on how to check the temps would be great.only doing short test runs say 5 miles for warm up.I set all the throttles on the bench,but don't know where they are now. I have the 1163 big bore and don't know what jets are in the carbs, but have owned the bike for over 20years so jets are not a problem. bike ran great until I let it sit to long

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: temp check exhasts

Post by whatscooking »

I am a new here but ill jump in. The temps are a good way to look at how things are burning, I believe you want to see even numbers no matter what range you check. What really tells is temps as quick as you can get the choke off but if you are like me and you get hung up checking temps and you start loading up the plugs with gas instead of taking it out and ridding it you will get readings you cant trust, all of this is just my opinion. Everyone says two and a half turns with the screws. Drive it a while then pull the plugs and read them. Lots goes into getting ready to this point. Idle jets must be clean, valves must be set right, compression needs checked and I recently found timing problems with mine caused by a missing spring with the advancer. Sounds to me you are close, go put some miles on it and burn those plugs off.

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

I did 25 miles on it today clean and crisp response so I think I'm real close idle is getting smoother.i don't think it's ever run this good.plus it starts easy. Going to check temps again for refrance.

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

I ended up at 2 and 5/8 out. Bike ran flawless did 428 miles in 2 days,and returned 41.6 to the gallon.i have owned this cbx for 26 years and never have I seen over 30 mpg . I'm still scratching my head. That was 60 to 70 on back roads and about 40 miles of interstate running 70 to 80.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Little mate wrote:I ended up at 2 and 5/8 out. Bike ran flawless did 428 miles in 2 days,and returned 41.6 to the gallon.i have owned this cbx for 26 years and never have I seen over 30 mpg . I'm still scratching my head. That was 60 to 70 on back roads and about 40 miles of interstate running 70 to 80.
Yow, you did something very right. I wish my bike returned that kind of mileage.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

I will post the mpg for the return trip as it was at 80 to 95 on the interstate.periodicaly dropping to 75 when the weav set in. Scary stuff, like Harry potter hang on it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”