choke return spring

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

choke return spring

Post by Sharpie66 »

Hello Gentlemen....I seem to be in a bind at the moment. Choke plate binding that is. I have just completed my second set of carbs for the 1982 model. Everything went very well until I joined the two banks and the right side choke operation keeps sticking. The return spring for this side was distorted and stretched prior to installing. Sorry no picture at the moment. I noticed this but still installed anyways. After joining the banks, this side won't return in a snappy fashion no matter what I do. I separated the rack again and wound the coil one extra time. This greatly improved the situation but every few times I check for return it binds on me due to the extra coil. It is not repeatable and I don't trust it.

I see this spring is NLA so I assume that I need to make the one I have work. I am fully confident that everything is hooked up correctly. The left side works fantastic. Very snappy and repeatable everytime. The right side is just terrible. Is there something that I can do with the spring? or maybe I should see if any of the used parts vendors might have one. After researching this forum, perhaps I should analyze today and see if I can figure out Mike Nixon's method of making the chokes fully manual. Searching for solutions in all directions. :D

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Patrick
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: choke return spring

Post by daves79x »

Likely not the spring that's the problem. There are several other reasons for binding - carbs aren't properly aligned, shaft bent, a choke plate slightly misaligned and hitting the accelerator pump nozzle boss (very common), or possibly the tang on the end of the shaft is rubbing on the actuator and causing the shaft to stick. You are correct that you have to get it working properly.

Dave

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: choke return spring

Post by Sharpie66 »

Thanks for responding Dave. After hours of fiddlng to no avail, I took the bank off the rack and inspected the choke plate shaft. Sure enough it was bent. About an 1/8" over the length of the shaft. I have it straight now and will re-assemble shortly.

Here is a picture of that spring.
image.jpg
Patrick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”