Increase Pilot Jet Size?

Darryl's CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Increase Pilot Jet Size?

Post by Darryl's CBX »

Looking for a internal petcock rubber part # 16955-268-020

I know Partzilla carries them but they want $12 to ship a $3 part to Ontario Canada.

Anybody have one they would sell me and just mail it in an envelope to L0S1C0 my Postal Code.

Thanks in advance!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Can’t you just go to your local Honda dealer and order one?

Dave

Darryl's CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Darryl's CBX »

daves79x wrote:Can’t you just go to your local Honda dealer and order one?

Dave
Not in Canada, they say it's an invalid part number. The parts guy said that if you have to drill the rivets out they won't sell the part.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Take heart - it’s just Canada looking out for you.

Dave

Darryl's CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Darryl's CBX »

Yes thanks for that! We have enough Big Brother watching!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Darryl's CBX wrote: Not in Canada, they say it's an invalid part number. The parts guy said that if you have to drill the rivets out they won't sell the part.
The part is not originally made for the CBX and the carburetor service it is used for does not involve drilling out the rivets. The guy is an a...hole..

Darryl's CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Darryl's CBX »

You can't argue with a computer that says it's an invalid part number.

Valid in the USA but not Canada.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

FZBob wrote:Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I wanted to give an update. Back in 2015 when I rebuilt my carbs, I followed my experience on other late '70's and 80's bikes, and installed #37.5 pilot jets, up from the stock #35. This did exactly what I expected, fixing 80% of the flat spot which occurs at 35-40mph under very slight acceleration. I then tried the #40 pilot jets. They are close to perfection! The throttle response is just buttery. :D

This was standard practice back in the day (Thanks, EPA!). I'm slightly puzzled that this is not a common fix on the CBX...

Earlier this year, I just couldn't leave well enough alone, and tried #42.5's. Too Rich! I went back to the #40's and I'm back to perfection.

For the sake of completeness, #68 primary mains, #98 secondary mains, stock needles with no shims, idle 2.25 to 2.5 turns out.

This is one of the best improvements I have made to the bike. (The other one being to degree the cams...)
What source are getting your # 40 pilots i have # 37 with stage 3 needles and K&N pods ,runs real nice no choke for cold start , EPA has Honda trying to fly under the Radar leaning these things out, they run good bone stock with the #35 mine is far from stock , I would like to try # 40 , could you give us a Link TIA , Greg

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Gregg, have a look through the Jetsrus site.
http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_street ... _1979.html

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Sirius

Dave

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Thanks guys, ordered from Jets our us last month didn't check order that close, they sent me the 28mm length # 40 , need the 21.5 length, should have opened the envelope sooner hope Jets our has other type 47 sent them a e-mail for exchange today , last set came from Sirus but cant find the # 40 on their site ? found these after my response earlier https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-K-L-KEYSTE ... 2#viTabs_0

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Here is the link to the correct #40 jets: https://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail ... _id=120565

They also list the stock #35, #38 and #42 jets. I think #40 is too big - go with the #38.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

At a good price as well.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Here is the response from Jets are us,,you can't make this stuff up lol , thanks for the links guys,
sorry for not answering the length....Keihin no longer produces these jets. There are no shorter versions available. If the press in type that we sent matches yours but length is wrong then the only option would be to dremel the ones we sent you and make them shorter to fit in the bowl. Yours is the first request i have had for the shorter ones so i would not be able to get a production run on them.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

daves79x wrote:Here is the link to the correct #40 jets: https://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail ... _id=120565

They also list the stock #35, #38 and #42 jets. I think #40 is too big - go with the #38.

Dave
Just found my order from Sirius, 3 years ago installed 38 slow jets, for some reason i thought they were 37 ? gotta start writing these things down in my shop manual , I am 2 1/2 turns out with the 38 and my plugs are very light , I run 100 LL av gas in this bike so plug check is different than with Pump Ethanol that usually makes the plugs look white, The only good thing about running Pods is i dont have to tilt my engine to pop my Carb rack off, It does run good now no Midrange flat spot or anything strange to my surprise , Lets see what happens with the 40 slow jet and stage 3 needle 120 main, My carbs are fresh and spotless, You may be correct about staying with the 38 , I enjoy working on my bikes , keeps me out of the bars :lol:

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”