vacuum synchronizing screws

pouchy750
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

vacuum synchronizing screws

Post by pouchy750 »

Is there a trick to removing & replacing the screws for the take offs for vacuum synchronizing the carbs?
I can easily remove to outside ones, the next ones in were a little more difficult.
I have already lost the sealing washer for one of these, it fell somewhere onto the engine.
It appears very difficult to get at the inner most ones without losing the screws & washer upon removal. And then installing them without losing anything.
Any suggestions are much appreciated.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: vacuum synchronizing screws

Post by tevan »

I use a locking screwdriver. I have lost washers before and they sealed fine without them.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

One of these 'split blade' slot head screwdrivers will do the trick nicely. I too struggled with the alloy screws and lost plenty.

In the last shot, the grip on the screw is enough for me to pick the screw and the screwdriver up just by holding the screw mounted on the end of the blade, right up off the bench.

But just 'crack' the screws open slightly with a normal slot head screw driver first so as to not to risk munging up the split head screwdriver, and nip them up for the final tighten the same way.

Oh, and a dab of grease smeared gently on the underside of the head of the screws when reinstalling them to hold that pesky alloy washer in place.

Haven't lost one since I got one of these babies. Makes doing the job a joy instead of a cussin' experience.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Klein-K38-VA ... 337fe872f5

Cheers...Tony

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Thanks for that tip, Tony.

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

I dip the end of my screw driver into a tub of grease and the screws stay stuck on.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

8) 8) Grease is the friend of those who are known to lose loose parts! I fished a broken piece of cam holder tower out of the timing chain channel with a blob of grease on the tip of a stick once!

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

pouchy whenever I drop something into the abyss of my CBX and can't reach it,I use compressed air with a long tipped blow gun, go easy with the pressure or said lost part may end up shooting across your shop floor.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”