Air Cutoff Valve Question

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Air Cutoff Valve Question

Post by jnnngs »

I have a 1980 CBX 1000Z (UK model), and am in the process of taking the carbs apart for cleaning - the bike has been standing for 25 years!

I have ordered Mike Nixon's carb manual - on its way to me, should hopefully get it next week. The answer to my question may be in the manual, but too impatient to wait...

On carb #1, I have taken the Air Cutoff valve apart, and removed the spring, diaphragm and O ring. But confused as to whether it needs further dismantling - there is a circular brass fitment which looks like it should come out, but can't find any mention of it in the workshop or parts manuals.

Do I take this out? In which case, is there a special tool / technique?

I intend to send the carb bodies off to be vapour blasted, so want to make sure I don't damage anything.

I've attached a picture which shows the offending item - any advice would be appreciated. As this is my first experience with a CBX, I apologise if a stupid question!

Paul Jennings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Air Cutoff Valve Question

Post by tevan »

That stays in. I have never taken one out and it is NOT mentioned in nixon's book to take it out. I have done several of these carbs and never took any of them out. I have a feeling if you try to take it out you will screw up the carb. body. No need to take out.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Paul.
Hardly a stupid question, as Tevan said, just clean it as-is.
Nice to hear you are tackling the carbs yourself.
It MIGHT take you a couple attempts but the sense of accomplishment will be worth it. Plus then you can spend the money you saved on something else CBX.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, intention is to tackle the carbs myself, hopefully that will turn out to be a good choice - I suspect there are going to be a few more questions from me on this (and other) topics!

swarrans
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by swarrans »

Watching with interest so that (as an almost local to you) I can learn what to do too!

Simon (from UK, Kent)

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”