assembling throttle synchronising linkages

pouchy750
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

assembling throttle synchronising linkages

Post by pouchy750 »

The throttle synchronising linkage adjustment between carbs 2/3 & 4/5 (the ones facing towards the back of the carbs) appear to be a big problem on reassembling the carbs back together because of the lack of space. Is there any tips or tricks here?
I've been able to reassemble the throttle synchronising linkage adjustment between carbs 1/2 & 5/6 (the ones facing towards the front of the carbs) when I looked at the carbs before, but there is more space there.
Thanks

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: assembling throttle synchronising linkages

Post by NobleHops »

Pouchy, do you have Mike Nixon's book? I personally would not attempt what you're doing without it. Check out:

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/booknook.html#1
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

swarrans
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by swarrans »

I wish he did an electronic version - postage and Duty will more than double the price to the UK...

Simon

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Don't think Mike covers carb separation, unless there's an updated version of the book. I use a very small, flat screwdriver to separate the washers and work the fork into them from there - both sets are equally accessible if you still have the bare carb bodies to work with. If they're assembled, it's a problem. Play around with it like that and you'll figure it out. Do not loosen the adjusters for more slack or you'll have a mess re-syncing them.

Tony from OZ uses broken square matchsticks as spacers to assist the process and that seems to be a good way as well.

Dave

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whatscooking »

The match stick trick works.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

Just to add to the chorus, the match stick method is the only way I have ever done it, and it works every time. Just make sure you recover the two pieces so they don't get caught somewhere in the mechanism.
SCH Rochester, MN

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

daves79x wrote:Don't think Mike covers carb separation, unless there's an updated version of the book. I use a very small, flat screwdriver to separate the washers and work the fork into them from there - both sets are equally accessible if you still have the bare carb bodies to work with. If they're assembled, it's a problem. Play around with it like that and you'll figure it out. Do not loosen the adjusters for more slack or you'll have a mess re-syncing them.

Tony from OZ uses broken square matchsticks as spacers to assist the process and that seems to be a good way as well.

Dave
Hi, Dave. Actually, my booklet does indeed cover separation, even in previous editions somewhat, but now with the new fourth edition in detail. :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Very good Mike: I have a hard-copy version from some time ago, but have not kept up with what else you have available. The folks should certainly take advantage of this, as advised here many times. Anyone contemplating separating the carbs for the first time should become as familiar with the process as they can by using the resources you kindly make available. Thanks again Mike!

Dave

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

You're one of the good guys, Dave, so I appreciate your endorsement. And here is a link, for everyone's benefit, on the new booklet.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/booknook.html#1

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”