fuel & air passage cleaning

pouchy750
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

fuel & air passage cleaning

Post by pouchy750 »

Whilst I have the carbs apart on my 79 CBX1000 I want to make sure all the fuel & air passages are free to flow air/fuel.
I've sprayed WD40 down the 3 jets in the top of the carb under the cover in the vacuum piston area & fluid comes out of the other carb orifices in the main body.
I've sprayed WD40 down the 2 jets in the float bowl & fluid comes out of the carb orifices in the main body.
A friend who has restored CBX's in the past said there is an emulsion tube that is unique to the 79 model that is difficult to clean. I have not found this item.
Is it the tube with a number of small holes around it's circumference that is located below the vacuum piston needle? This is clear.
Is there anywhere else I should check? I don't want to take these things off again!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: fuel & air passage cleaning

Post by NobleHops »

WD40 was a poor choice I'm afraid. You need to follow it with carb cleaner now.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: fuel & air passage cleaning

Post by daves79x »

Your friend is talking about the pressed-in #35 slow jet. You have to devise a pulling tool to do that but it's covered here extensively in several threads. Those have to be clean or your other work won't matter much. After using carb cleaner to flush/clean passages, follow with compressed air everywhere, then brake cleaner, not WD. Brake cleaner is cheaper and does not leave clogging residue in small passages like the accelerator pump circuit. Then more compressed air.

Dave

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”