choke butterfly screws

pouchy750
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

choke butterfly screws

Post by pouchy750 »

It appears the carbs are leaking from the o-ring area when the fuel supply pipe goes into the carb fuel supply tube between carbs 1 & 2.
I will have to split the carbs & replace the o-rings.
The screws that hold the choke butterfly to the shaft have a cut on the ends & appear to be pried apart slightly to lock the screws in position.
The Honda workshop manual says to cut this end off, in order to unscrew these screws & remove the butterfly.
Is this the correct procedure?
On assembly, can I reuse the old shorter screws & secure them with Loctite?
Or are there replacements available?
Thanks

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: choke butterfly screws

Post by spencer »

If you use a screwdriver that fits well, such as a JIS screwdriver, they can usually just be turned out, without doing anything to the staked end of the screw. Be patient and careful. You may be able to reuse them, but why not just get new ones?
SCH Rochester, MN

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I re-use most of them, especially on the '79 carbs. Don't know, but Honda seems to have very slightly changed the staking process on the '80-'82 carbs since some of them just won't start. Get button head stainless as replacements. Be careful with Locktite - it will creep out the choke shaft and bind the pivot.

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

daves79x wrote: Be careful with Locktite - it will creep out the choke shaft and bind the pivot.

Dave
There's a new form of Lock-Tite, looks like a fat tube of Chap-Stick, kinda waxy. Pretty handy, and won't leak in your toolbox when it falls over. I use the blue quite a bit.

John Deere dealers carry it. Likely lots of other places too.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”