Removing All float bowls w/carbs on?

Thomasg
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Removing All float bowls w/carbs on?

Post by Thomasg »

Is this possible, was looking to see if there was a topic covering this but couldn't see one. I made about a 20 minute effort and got 4 of them off, but with a damaged finger having trouble with the last 2. Am I wasting my time because I'm going to get to the number 3 and get stuck?

Thanks.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Removing All float bowls w/carbs on?

Post by NobleHops »

Thomasg wrote:Is this possible, was looking to see if there was a topic covering this but couldn't see one. I made about a 20 minute effort and got 4 of them off, but with a damaged finger having trouble with the last 2. Am I wasting my time because I'm going to get to the number 3 and get stuck?

Thanks.
I'm gonna guess that with enough short screwdrivers and hand strength it can be done, but why? All you could do would be clean the bowls and overflows, and that's not where your trouble lies, friend.

Tilt the engine and take them off. Think of it as a bonding experience :D
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

it's an embarrassing reason I was going to try not to bring it up, I just had the carbs off and deep cleaned them following (not close enough) Mike Nixon's informative handbook, I skipped the bench leak test portion due to a lack of a suitable stand and got the carbs in, cables connected and engine remounted then thought I'd better chuck some fuel in and couldn't get the bowls to fill, well after a short head scratch I realised I had done my final assembly with every float in upside down.... I'm not that stupid I promise, just a crazy stupid error and was hoping I could get it sorted without going through all the fuss of removal again.

I'm pretty sure I can get them all except 3, I'm just not sure with the pump in there..... anybody managed it?

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I don't think there is enough room. If it was me I would tilt engine again and do it right. You can take them off in less then a hour. Do yourself a favor and wet test them on the bench or you might have to pull them again. Ask me how I know. The main thing when you are working on these carbs is take your time. When you get pissed quit working on them. :twocents-02cents:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Thomasg wrote: I had done my final assembly with every float in upside down....
..and after removing the bowls, you want to take off and reinstall the floats the right way???? Do not try that! You end up with broken "posts". Like the others said: Take your time and take the carbs off.

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by gak1047 »

The bowls can be removed while on the bike. I purchased a very short screwdriver from the Snap On tool man years ago. I never worked on the floats themselves while on the bike, just removed the bowls to to swap out the jets while at the strip. I will tell you that it is probably almost as fast to remove the carbs the right way as it is to try and remove the bowls while still on the bike.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

gak1047 wrote:The bowls can be removed while on the bike. I purchased a very short screwdriver from the Snap On tool man years ago. I never worked on the floats themselves while on the bike, just removed the bowls to to swap out the jets while at the strip. I will tell you that it is probably almost as fast to remove the carbs the right way as it is to try and remove the bowls while still on the bike.
That might to true. Then he needs to check the wet test too. Then you have to take the bowls back off if one leaks. My luck it would be #3 or #4. Good luck.

Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

My floats come out super easy, I can literally use my nail and poke them then whip them out, no need really even for needle nose pliers, so not sure how I would break a post, maybe by trying to force a bowl past one in taking them off? I know i'm probably going to end up removing the carbs again, just didn't want to have to monkey with the cables, that's my least favourite thing to do....ever :sad-roulette:

maybe i'll just stick to cb750's when I do get it back together, but the noise is worth it....

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Thomasg wrote:My floats come out super easy, I can literally use my nail and poke them then whip them out, no need really even for needle nose pliers, so not sure how I would break a post, ....
I have to check. I must have different carbs on my CBXes.. :? :o

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Even if all goes well, and one where to get the floats turned over and reinstalled -- how do you know the float height is correct? And, hw do you adjust if not? Never been there -- just a thought. As much 'pain' as it might be, I'd want to pull the carbs.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

I pulled the carbs, after all what are sunday's for... so I fixed my issue and yes checking the float levels correctly was the deciding factor, although I think I could have done them on the bike just about, it wouldn't have been easy. and removal and re-instillation was quicker the second time around so it wasn't that painful really.

Thanks for the advice on here :text-thankyouyellow:

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I luv happy endings! :clap:
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Glad you got it sorted, Thomas.
I am in the same boat with you in regards to the cables. Removing and working on the carbs gets a bit easier with practice but the cables throw me for a loop every time. One of many mental blocks.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

And yet again, another CBX owner finds out the hard way that there are VERY few 'shortcuts' when working on these things. To other new owners out there that may be reading this - don't try to be a hero - ask questions and do everything as instructed, or you'll be doing it again and again and........

Dave

Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Yes, I tried so hard to do it 'by the book' as compared to my usuall bull in a china shop method that I ended up making possibly the silliest mistake I could! I second the motion that anybody new to these bikes (it's my third - but first I'll be working on) take your time and pick the brains of those who have tried and failed and tried again, it really does make it less painful for the rest of us, I think they call it the greater good....

Now I have the bike running I need to get my head around the valve adjustment, timing check/adjusment and then tuning 6 carbs! Anybody with some words of wisdom feel free to PM me or post it for everyones benefit.

Thanks again old and wise CBX owners

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”