Throttle opening cable at twist grip end

pouchy750
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Throttle opening cable at twist grip end

Post by pouchy750 »

Thanks for all your advice on installing the opening throttle cable on the carb end. I finally gave up the fight / frustration & retook the carbs off.
Now I have the problem of installing the opening cable at the twist grip end.
The cable screws into the twist grip housing. I assume you have to take the throttle housing off the handle bar & disconnect the electrical connector in the headlight. Otherwise you can't screw the cable into the housing without twisting everything up.
Is this the correct installation procedure?
The closing throttle cable has a loose ferule that screws into the twist grip housing, therefore allowing the cable to be installed a lot easier.
Why didn't Honda do that for the opening carb cable as well?
This has been by far the most frustrating part of the rebuild so far. A throttle cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Throttle opening cable at twist grip end

Post by daves79x »

The throttle cables should never come off at the throttle to remove the carbs. It can all be done quite easily with the cables attached. Yes, the one cable has to screw into the housing somehow. Not sure what you do from there except take the headlight apart.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

How did you get the cable off? To give you more room for installation of the cable, you could have just taken the switch off the handlebar without disconnecting the cable outer. I know, hindsight... :(

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

I made this mistake the first time I did my carbs also,however the threaded fitting can be threaded into the switch housing by completly backing off the adjustment nut were the cable fits in and just rotating the curved fitting into the switch housing.It will just rotate around the cable. Then connect the threaded adjustment and readjust the cable.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”