Throttle opening cable carb connection

pouchy750
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Throttle opening cable carb connection

Post by pouchy750 »

I'm putting together a 1979 CBX1000 engine that was taken apart by the previous owner.
I've spent too many hours getting the carbs back onto the intake rubbers.
And more hours jacking the engine up into it's mounting location.
I have now spend even more hours trying to connect the throttle cables to the carbs.
How do you connect the opening throttle cable to the carbs? The tang for the nipple is buried deep between the carbs & at the moment impossible to get at.
Is there a trick here that I need to know? The Honda manual isn't too specific.
Please don't tell me I have to take the carbs off again! ARGH!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Throttle opening cable carb connection

Post by EMS »

:doh: :doh: Yes, putting the cables on the carbs BEFORE installing them is the way to go. But you can get them on. iI is just so much harder. You may want at least tilt the engine back down again. :think:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, the cables should go on first, but here's what to try: Take a length of monofilament fishing line and thread it up where the pull cable goes. Tie the end onto the end of the pull cable and pull the cable in to place with the line. You can hold tension on the line and cable at the same time to control where it goes and to seat the cable end into the bell crank. When you've verified it's in place, just snip the line. This might be easier for you than removing the carbs again, but be aware that you might have MORE time doing it this way than just taking the carbs off again - not that big a deal.

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I have opened the carbs and wedged a screw driver into the linkage. This helps expose the slot where the cable end goes. A long needle nose pliers and a slender screwdriver will work.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

I recently found myself in exactly the same position as you, having put on the carbs before I made the cable connections. After an hour of trying, I relented and accepted defeat. What a PIA. I completely dissambled the carbs and cleaned them and replaced o-rings and then reassembled only to find myself getting whooped by the cable connections. After losing round 1, I decided to open up the throttle control and removed the cables. I then had all the slack I needed to make my connections. This made it so much easier.

Good luck to you....
Patrick
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Sharpie66 wrote: After losing round 1, I decided to open up the throttle control and removed the cables. I then had all the slack I needed to make my connections. This made it so much easier.

Good luck to you....
Patrick
Thanks for that hint, Patrick! It goes without saying, that you have to disconnect the cables at the throttle control on the handlebar if you find yourself in a pickle like this 8)

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

EMS wrote:Thanks for that hint, Patrick! It goes without saying, that you have to disconnect the cables at the throttle control on the handlebar if you find yourself in a pickle like this 8)
:laughing-rolling: I just might be the only Noob out there on this forum but just in case I wasn't.

I will say this....having been at the top of my industry for years I find it refreshing to be at the bottom of the knowledge pool here. Occasionally the obvious is not so........................obvious. :D

PC
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Sharpie66 wrote: Occasionally the obvious is not so........................obvious. :D

PC
Sometimes, it takes a fresh mind to point that out! 8)

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by patzx12 »

I can slip my left hand under the carbs, then I guide the nipple into its seating while manipulating the handlebar end of the cable.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”