Need help identifying/pricing these carbs

Carl
Power Poster
Power Poster

Need help identifying/pricing these carbs

Post by Carl »

Hey guys. I'm Carl's son. My father passed away 2 years ago and we're slowly but surely going through his overwhelming collection of bikes and parts. I have someone who is interested in the lot of carbs, but I have no idea what I'm looking at and how much I should be asking for them. I was hoping someone on here could give me a ballpark average on what I should/could get for them in their as-is condition, as well as any information you may know about them.

Here's the lot of 6's:

As far as I can tell, these all seem to be essentially identical. That's a group picture, as well as a close up of one of them.

Here's the lot of 4's:

Like I said, I don't have the first clue what I'm looking at. My father was the bike guy, not me, unfortunately. If anyone can help me narrow down what these (as a whole or even individually) would be worth, that would be greatly appreciated. If you need better pictures or any information off the carbs themselves, let me know. Sorry for the long post :lol:
Say It Loud.....I Own a CBX and I'm Proud!!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Need help identifying/pricing these carbs

Post by NobleHops »

I'm sorry to learn of your fathers passing, sorry I'm not much more help than that.

EBay is often a decent indication of market price, but of course a lot depends on the condition. If these were stored carefully and dry, all free, that's a plus. There are numbers stamped to the left, beginning with VB, those will indicate which year carbs you have. Do a few searches here for "carb ID" and you'll find a recent post that will tell you what number corresponds to what year.

The bad news is that even if they are good and were well stored, they likely need a $ 5-700 clean and rebuild to be ready to use. So my wild-ass guess is that they might fetch $300 or so per set as is. I see an eBay completed listing for a set at $400, and a few hopeful current ones higher, so take it all with a grain of salt. That is an unqualified guess.

Sincerely wish you good luck with the disposal of the stuff, and please consider giving the guys here a crack at some of it when you do.

Best,

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Very sorry for the loss of your dear Dad, sadly losing our parents is one of life's many rough patches that most of us must come to terms with at some time. Never, ever easy.

From what I can see from the pics, IMHO all the CBX carbs appear to be from CBX-Zs (78-79 twin shocks).

This based on the fact there is no brass second fuel inlet pipe between carbs 5 & 6 and no vacuum take off adapter on carb no. 2 for the fuel shut off valve.

The four carb bank with the similar Keihin carb tops to the CBX carbs I believe would be from a Honda CB900F or CB1100F.

The other two groups of much older 'gang of four' carbs, well I am going out on a limb here and suggest they are off Honda CB750 SOHC (Single Overhead Cam) bikes.

The last group of four (with the black wrinkle finish tops), I have no idea at all, but seem far more 'modern' than all the others - maybe a Suzuki something?

Perhaps talk to a reputable CBX carb rebuilder and see if any interest in a deal where they professionally rebuild them and you share the sale price in some equitable way? I think pro' rebuilt ones would always get the nod and at a far better price over a totally unknown eBay purchase.

My two South Pacific pesos worth.....

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers..Tony

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Sorry to hear about the passing of your father.
I remember a thread from a couple years ago about the opening of a bike museum that he covered.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

A set of decent CBX carbs that only need cleaning and new seals/O-rings should bring between $250.- and $350.-
1979 carbs (VB60/VB61) are the most plentiful, 1980 carbs (VB62) are the rarest.
I think Tony is correct in his assumption that the 6s are all VB60 (1979 carbs).

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

The set of carbs at the top left photo of the CBX carbs has two fuel inlets. Could be that set is '80-'82?
Each set of carbs will be marked on the #1 carb on the side just above the float bowl with a VB # They will be VB60, VB62, or VB64 if they are USA Carbs.
The VB60='79, VB62='80, VB64='81 or '82
I am sorry to hear of your loss and best of luck with the sales.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Carl
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Carl »

Thank you for all of your help and condolences, everyone. I truly do appreciate it. Lots of information to take in and use. I'll take a closer look at the carbs, find out the years, and go from there. I have some other stuff (mainly exhaust pipes) that I would like to throw up on these forums for basically the same reason...get info/average prices. Hopefully someone will be able to help me as much as you guys have helped with this. Thanks again guys.
Say It Loud.....I Own a CBX and I'm Proud!!

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Well spotted Phil! I stand corrected. Better make an appointment with the Eye Doctor!!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

herdygerdy wrote:Well spotted Phil! I stand corrected. Better make an appointment with the Eye Doctor!!
...or click on the full size picture.. :roll:

Jebbysan
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Jebbysan »

$250 to $400 is not out of sight as is......really depends on corrosion and/or bent pieces-parts....
I like the 79' carbs a lot myself as the have an extra circuit in them.....hence the two jets.
They seem to be a little more tractable around town for modified engines.....and respond to individual filters well if jetted correctly.
Later units only have slow jet and one main.
You can confirm for absolute sure by pulling a bowl......you will see to large jets staring at you and rubber well plugs that the bowl holds in.....
Later carbs also did not have the rubber plug. But Tony is correct in saying as there is only one fuel inlet....and no vacuum valve port on #3 carb.

You have quite the stash there......my condolences on your father. That is rough.
Will you be offering them here? I would be interested in a set if so.

PM me if you want to sell a set....and take care.

Jebby
1979 CBX Sport Custom
1972 Corvette
1982 wife with a 1982 Z/28

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”