Bike storage

steveecob
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Bike storage

Post by steveecob »

Hi guys,need some good advice please. Going to UK for 5 weeks in September and need to leave my CBX stored. Should I just disconnect battery and leave fuel tap on? [previous
owner never turned it off and had no problems so I do the same] and hope it starts OK when I get back? Would like to add a fuel stabiliser but cant seem to get any make in South Africa. Any advice welcome. Cheers Steve.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Bike storage

Post by NobleHops »

Definitely turn the fuel tap off, if only to prevent the potential for fuel to run into a cylinder and cause hydro lock. In the US we have a few popular brands of fuel stabilizer for our crappy ethanol-diluted fuels including Stabil and StarTron. If your fuels also contain 10% ethanol I'd say try to find some. If they do not then I'd say fill the tank and let the good times roll.

Opinions vary on the wisdom of leaving fuel in the carbs vs draining them or running them dry, I won't wade in there.

A smart charger like a Battery Tender is a good investment. I would not leave a battery unattended on a simple trickle charger. If you can't find a smart charger then yes, I guess I'd disconnect it if there's any parasitic drain, (clock) but if not I would not bother.

YMMV,

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It may be worth trying a marine supply store. They may have fuel stabilizer. If you cannot find anything, try to get some aircraft fuel and replace the fuel in the tank with it. Make sure the stuff gets into the carbs by running the bike a little.
I agree with Nils, draining the carbs vs not draining is a discussion like DOT3/4 vs DOT5 brake fluid. Both have their pros and cons. I have done both and it did not make a difference. But I have always used stabilizer.
Main argument, that I always hear, against draining is, that the seals could dry out. And if there is a smidgen of gas left in the carbs - it is rather difficult to get ALL of it out - it has a tendency to turn into varnish easier than if the carbs are full.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Steve,
For only 5 weeks, I'd just drain the carbs and go! Everything else won't know the difference. The only appliance you want running while you're gone is the frig. Have a great time. If you're going to the 'North', enjoy the single malt trail. Have a nip for me.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Heck, many of our CBXs sit 5 weeks or longer in riding season over here anyway. My advice has always been to fill the tank, unstabilized, and drain the carbs. Your bike will fire right up when you get back. If the O-rings in your carbs are the original, they'll leak sometime and if that happens, it's time to replace them anyway. If the carbs have been rebuilt recently, for sure don't worry about them drying out.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

..as I have said before...I definitely have to start to read the posts!! I sure thought he was going to park for 5 months.. :roll: :roll:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I would give the exact same advice for 5 months' storage.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:I would give the exact same advice for 5 months' storage.

Dave
Well, it depends what fuel he has. Here in Northeast Ohio, I would not let a CBX sit for 2 months without fuel stabilizer. 8)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If you drain the carbs, it's no problem with a full tank.

Dave

steveecob

Post by steveecob »

Thanks Guys for all the varying advice,[perhaps I shouldn't have bothered asking] All great advice but I think I will turn the tap off and cover the bike over.
After all its only 5 weeks not 5 months as some of you guys have to do. Yes I am going to Scotty land and I will have a wee dram for you Larry.
Seems no stabiliser available here in SA [any local guys no of any?] Obviously the airlines wont allow it, I have tried to order off E Bay.
Thanks to all for replying.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:If you drain the carbs, it's no problem with a full tank.

Dave
I don't want to turn this into one of our usual p...ng contests, but I also don't want to have somebody store his or her bike for 5 months like this and then complain in the spring that his carbs are all messed up and he says: "The guys on the ICOA forum told me so". :naughty:
Let it be known, that there are different opinions:

- a full tank of gas prevents the tank from rusting inside. That's about all it does. Untreated, without stabilizer, that gas will lose quite some ability to ignite. A lower compression engine will usually not start on older fuel.
- draining the carbs, will drain the float bowls. It will not get the residual gas out of the jets and passages, unless you run the engine until it dies. Even then, there is a risk that small amounts of gas will remain in the carbs and the engine will give out
before it is all sucked out. That remaining stuff will turn into nice gummy residue in 5 months.

It is up to everyone to do what they want, but please don't blame it on the ICOA if you have a problem. Maybe Dave will clean your carbs for free, if you did like he said. :mrgreen: :DD

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

For the first 25 years or so, I filled the tank with fresh gas and drained the carbs before storing. That caused no problems. Then somebody pointed out that new gas could contain ethanol, and although it's supposed to be marked on the pump, you never know. Gas adulterated with ethanol is said to go bad quickly unless you add stabilizer, so for the last few years, I've changed my procedure: add stabilizer, fill with fresh gas that I think contains no ethanol, blast home from the station to cook moisture out of the pipes, drain the carbs. I then store for 6 months in an unheated garage. I've had no problem with that procedure. Oh, I also remove the battery. The last thing I want is acid dripping over my bike from a frozen-thawed case.
Al

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

And there's the possibility that if you take my advice, you won't have any problems - remember, I've owned these things since new also and have had no problems storing a bike that way for 2 or 3 years. I just replaced the O-rings in my original '79's carbs last Fall after 35 years. I've seen too many carbs that had gas left in them (stabilized or unstabilized). The fuel remaining in any passageways mostly empties by gravity when the bowls are drained and the rest evaporates almost immediately, even the accelerator pump circuit. You can even squirt that dry if you want to.

But whatever - that's my experience and you all do what you want. Remember, someone asked the original question and genuinely wanted to know what to do.

Dave

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

Steve, our fuel is surprisingly good, none of that ethanol crap in it. I recently went to the US for 3 weeks and the cbx stood for around 5 weeks. I did nothing special. Normally I turn the fuel tap off while the bike is still running for a bit. That's pretty much how I left her. Left the battery connected too. After opening the tap, pumping the throttle abit, she fired right up.

For peace of mind, especially since you're near the coast, I'd follow Dave's advice. Don't bother with trying stabilizers.

Enjoy Scotland. The Glenfidich tour is highly recommended! Sadly, that bottle we bought there is long since drained (the angles had more than their share) but I still have that Macallan well hidden!

Cheers,
Mike
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

steveecob

Post by steveecob »

Wow, lots of food for thought and differing advice from everyone. Yes our fuel is pretty good but I use LRP [lead replacement petrol] which a lot of the classic guys don't like too much. I am not too sure what they put in it to replace the lead.
Anyway I have managed to trace fuel stabilizer tablets made by Dyno Tab who are from somewhere called La Habre in California. I feel happier they are American rather than Chinese. Any comments before I use them?
Any advice much appreciated. Steve. Durban.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”